DX 100 operator question

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
princefan3

DX 100 operator question

Post by princefan3 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:18 pm

Hi all....why is it that I have to have operator 1 selected all the time in order to get a noise out of the machine.

There might be the very odd occasion that it's turned to 0 and I hear something...usually a feint type of sound.

I thought that all operators work independently from each other but in the end bleed the same sort of noise.

Am I doing something wrong...cheers guys

desmond

Re: DX 100 operator question

Post by desmond » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:45 pm

You need to consult the algorithm diagrams for each algorithm to see which operator is doing what.

If you're using an algorithm with only one carrier, operator 1, and you turn it off, you'll hear nothing.

It sounds like you might be unfamiliar with DX-type FM synthesis - but there are plenty of online references for you to read and understand how it works.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: DX 100 operator question

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:22 am

All Yamaha FM algorithms use operator 1 as a carrier (think about it for a second).

When using the algorithms that have multiple carriers you should be able to disable operator 1 and still have sound.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.