Deepmind 12 - Ghost In The Machine??? SOLVED

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Tekhed66
Gear: Roland JD990
Roland JD800
Roland XV5080
Roland SH01A
Behringer DM12
Yamaha An1x
Studiologic Sledge 2
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Akai s5000
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Deepmind 12 - Ghost In The Machine??? SOLVED

Post by Tekhed66 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:46 am

Hi all

I recently picked up a second hand DM12 and I've noticed that when I scroll through the patches, I'll occasionally come across a patch where the DM12 will seem to play by itself... what I hear is usually a bunch of endlessly cycling randon notes as if the arpeggiator is on and you've accidentally pressed some keys.

All of the filters work so I can modulate the sound but I can't turn off the 'autoplaying' and of course, I can't use that particular patch to play anything. I checked the arp and it's definitely off.

For those of you with a DM12, some examples are patch C-14 Magestic RD, C-19 Weaver Pad RD, C-29 Evergreen RD and C-32 Glitchnoria. I've only given C bank examples but there are others scattered throughout.

When I switch to the next corresponding patch, it stops (when on the new patch) but returns when I go back to the original patch. For example, if I choose C-14 Magestic, it autoplays. I go to C-15 Ocean Dream and it plays normally. I go back to C-14 and it autoplays... just random held notes.

Does anyone else with a DM12 have this? Is it part of the patch (unlikely) or is something else going on?

I was going to do a full reset but have held off until I asked about this first.

I know that there are a lot of Behringer haters out there so please no 'shoulda bough a proper synth' answers... I really want to try and get this fixed.

cheers and thanks.
Last edited by Tekhed66 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Deepmind 12 - Ghost In The Machine??? HELP!!

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:28 am

DeepMind has a control sequencer. Call up one of those patches, press the Edit button in the Arp/Seq section until the Sequencer page comes up and see if it's enabled and loop is on. If so, disable it and see if the self playing stops.

See this video:

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Tekhed66
Roland JD800
Roland XV5080
Roland SH01A
Behringer DM12
Yamaha An1x
Studiologic Sledge 2
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Akai s5000

Re: Deepmind 12 - Ghost In The Machine??? HELP!!

Post by Tekhed66 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:31 am

meatballfulton wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:28 am
DeepMind has a control sequencer. Call up one of those patches, press the Edit button in the Arp/Seq section until the Sequencer page comes up and see if it's enabled and loop is on. If so, disable it and see if the self playing stops.
Hi Meatball

I tried your suggestion but no luck ... some of the patches that autoplay already have the control sequencer set to OFF. The thing is, you dont have to actually press the keys to get a sound... all you have to do is scroll to the patch and it plays.... scroll away from the patch and it stops but then returns as soon as you select that specific patch again.

I don't want to do a factory reset just yet so I'll play around with it a while longer...

Thanks for your help and suggestion anyway.
cheers

Tekhed66
Roland JD800
Roland XV5080
Roland SH01A
Behringer DM12
Yamaha An1x
Studiologic Sledge 2
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Akai s5000

Re: Deepmind 12 - Ghost In The Machine??? SOLVED

Post by Tekhed66 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:46 pm

Seems the DM12 is a super-rare beast... I'm pretty lucky to be the only one out there to own one...

The weird self-playing patches are a normal (???) function of the synth... some patches are hard wired to begin playing as soon as the patch is loaded. There doesn't seem to be any way to control WHAT is played but you have full access to the synth's controls so you can decide on HOW it's played.

To quote from another forum "the expected behavior of the VCA All mod destination allows you to open the VCA of all voices, regardless of whether they’re ‘active’ (i.e assigned to a key being pressed) or not. This allows for these drone, ambient type patches, which is how the patch designers have intended them to be used. Hope this helps clarify things a bit."

I've never come across this feature in any previous synth and it didn't seem like a hardware fault as other patches worked normally and also, if you pasted a normal patch into the space previously occupied by one of these self-playing patches, the pasted patch worked normally (does that make sense?)

For those who have DM12's - further reading here:

https://community.musictribe.com/t5/Syn ... 10722#M259

https://community.musictribe.com/t5/Syn ... 15786#M909

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:01 pm

It's certainly not common in polyphonic synths, but opening up the VCA independent of the envelope is often seen in monosynths.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Tekhed66
Roland JD800
Roland XV5080
Roland SH01A
Behringer DM12
Yamaha An1x
Studiologic Sledge 2
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Akai s5000

Post by Tekhed66 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:04 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:01 pm
It's certainly not common in polyphonic synths, but opening up the VCA independent of the envelope is often seen in monosynths.
Hmmm OK... I never knew that ... I meant that I'd never come across it in any of my synths which are all polysynths (except for an old SH-101 I owned about 100 years ago)..

Anyway - it's easily fixed by re-routing the matrix and once you do that, the patch in question becomes very usable so all's well that ends well ;) .