Roland SH-2, frozen/unresponsive, no sound?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
WhinyLittleRunt

Roland SH-2, frozen/unresponsive, no sound?

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Wed May 01, 2019 5:12 am

Just looking for tips before I start probing around...

I just got an SH-2 and it was a bit wonky but working more or less. (It was supposed to be working perfectly). It was dumb stuff like the keyboard contacts etc. But when I opened it up I found that one of the power supply caps had completely shorted and soldered-in fuse was bad. Not even sure how it was working but it was... anyway I recapped the supply, replaced the fuse, pulled and cleaned the bus bars in the keyboard. Took my measurements, got my 30v +/- and 15v +/- where I needed them, looked good, fired it up. Worked well. Everything seemed sorted.

I fired it up earlier this evening and let it warm up. When I came back to it it was frozen, unresponsive, the rate LED was solid and no sound. Ok, so I took it to the bench and checked the power supply again - and again, looks good. Still fires up unresponsive. I did not re-cap the rest of the synth nor did I make any changes at the main boards. Any ideas?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2fBtvYu]Image
[url=https://flic.kr/p/TypuFE]Image
I like vintage synths....

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Roland SH-2, frozen/unresponsive, no sound?

Post by Mooger5 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:11 pm

Hi,
See if the envelope follower was engaged.
See if the synth responds to external cv.
See if ext audio passes through.
Where exactly are you reading 30v +/- ?
Herrare umanum est.

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Thu May 02, 2019 12:37 am

I was getting +/- 30v at the power regulators, B and E pins. C would give me 15v + or - depending on which one I measured. I'd also get 15v +/- at the spots on the power supply (16, 17 and 20, 21):

It appeared fine until the next day and I left it on for a couple of hours to warm up. Worked ok the previous day, nothing changed.

Sounds like you know the SH-2 pretty well? I'll go check on the audio input and CV...

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Thu May 02, 2019 2:02 am

Ok, here's what I do know now after doing a bit of probing...

No it doesn't pass audio. I haven't even tried CV yet. I found that when the power supply is disconnected from the rest of the synth, I get my 14-15v as expected. When I connect it (3 different cables), the power draw is different, and I wind up with -10v (as low as 7 or 8v). So I started unplugging the connectors one at a time and I got to the second one on the 052H176 PCB (OPH62) and powered it on with 15v, and a functional rate LED. So, it's definitely something on that board somehow drawing the power or shorted I'd think, right?

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Thu May 02, 2019 4:25 am

I fixed it...

Turned out to be a shorted IC (TL082), IC18. Found it with the touch test; ouch! Also changed out the caps in that board while it was out.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Thu May 02, 2019 9:18 am

Well done. The ''touch-o-meter'' and the ''smell-o-meter'' are very valuable diagnoseing tools. The latter isn't so effective, but it's safer. :)
Herrare umanum est.