Korg M1 patches

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
mikepctvman

Korg M1 patches

Post by mikepctvman » Thu May 09, 2019 2:56 am

Hi everyone, noob here still learning how to use my M1. I was wondering if it’s possible to swap out patches one by one? For example if I have the factory program/combi sounds loaded and I found one sound I like in an .sys file I have on my computer can I remove one sound and add in another or can it only be all together? The sound I like is NightDad but would like to keep the rest of the factory sounds... hope that all makes sense

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Korg M1 patches

Post by madtheory » Fri May 10, 2019 1:04 pm

Yes you can do this on a computer with a librarian app such as MIDIQuest. I can’t recomend any free ones because I’ve only ever used MIDIQuest, and never with an M1.

Unfortunately the Korg Legacy plugin doesn't export SysEx, only import. That would be the best way if it was possible IMO.

It’s a nice synth with a lot to offer still.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri May 10, 2019 1:58 pm

There is a way to do it without a librarian but it's very tedious, requiring multiple sysex transfers. With a librarian it's usually just drag and drop and then upload to the instrument.

This will work on any instrument that supports dumping single patches as well as banks of patches and allows choosing where to put a single patch when loading...some instruments will only load a single patch to the patch slot it was dumped from, read the M1 manual to see if this is the case.

1. Dump the bank currently in the M1 to a new sysex file on the computer.

2. Load the sysex file with the patch you want into the M1.

3. Dump only the patch you want (NOT the whole bank) to a new sysex file on the computer.

4. Load the original sysex file with the original patch bank into the M1.

5. Load the sysex file with the single patch you want into the M1.

Hope this helps.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

mikepctvman

Post by mikepctvman » Fri May 10, 2019 3:57 pm

Ok sounds easy enough, how would I know I found the one patch sound I want on the computer (I use BomeSendsx) when I load the soundbanks to dump to the M1 it looks like a long row of random letters and numbers spaced out (like "b2 01 d5" etc...) or alternatively should I play the sound I like and see it come up on the program to save it?

desmond

Post by desmond » Fri May 10, 2019 6:06 pm

You're not going to get far looking at the raw sysex bytes!

As mentioned above, you need a computer editor that can load and display the files, and let you reorganise the patches and dump them back to your system.

mikepctvman

Post by mikepctvman » Fri May 10, 2019 7:27 pm

Ok I understand even more now, thank you all for clearing that up for me. I found a couple free programs to try so ill see how it goes...