Realistic mg-1

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Nixmb

Realistic mg-1

Post by Nixmb » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:35 pm

I have a realistic mg-1, I sold it on eBay and it is being returned, the buyer said the detune slider did not work and there was intermittent sound when changing functions. I know zero about these units. I did read there is some foam deterioration issue, would it be any help if I cleaned the inside? Just so you all know I was honest in the listing, but buyer is not happy so I am taking return. I want to resell but I want a happy buyer, taking it to a pro restorer seems so costly, what would you all do?

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Realistic mg-1

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:45 pm

First things first. Often buyers are clueless about how to operate the gear and assume it's broken. Sometimes it's just buyer's remorse or they are trying to get you to refund part of the money so they can get a better deal.

So check the unit out when it arrives and see if everything still works, especially the stuff the buyer complained about. Switches and sliders often just need to be cleaned but they can fail over time and require replacement.

If "I know zero about these units" means that you don't know how to operate it, and are just selling it "as is" then you need to find someone local who is familiar with the MG-1 and can tell you what's not working. Nothing wrong with selling a unit that needs service, you just have to reduce your price.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:05 pm

Find some good instructions for the foam removal, and then use deoxit and faderlube on all the faders.

Nixmb

Post by Nixmb » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:02 pm

Yes as you said I do not know how to tell if it is operating properly, which I stated in the listing...the most I can verify is sound comes out, knobs move and the sound is different, lol. I have found someone local that said they can diagnose and fix when I receive it back. I am now gun shy on selling it, but am tired of storing it.