Sequential Circuits Prophet 600 non triggering keys and transformer hum Help

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
eddy137

Sequential Circuits Prophet 600 non triggering keys and transformer hum Help

Post by eddy137 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:24 pm

Hi guys,

Am looking at a prophet 600 which the seller has several non triggering keys. Just wondering if this is as simple as taking the thing about and cleaning the keys, or is it something that should be taken in for repairs.

They also state the transformer emits and audible hum (although not through the audio out). Also wondering if this could be a cause for concern or if it is par for the course with vintage SCI gear?

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks. Cheers

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Sequential Circuits Prophet 600 non triggering keys and transformer hum Help

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:06 pm

I assume you are not able to see the P600 in person? If so, pass on it.

Transformers can hum, the question is whether it is loud enough to be annoying.

As far as the keys, it depends on what keys...it might just need cleaning, it might need new keys, it might be some of the circuitry that scans the keys has failed, etc. Do all notes respond correctly over MIDI?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

eddy137

Re: Sequential Circuits Prophet 600 non triggering keys and transformer hum Help

Post by eddy137 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:59 am

Im kind of leaning on the whole "pass on it" idea to be honest.

The guys has said that the notes trigger over midi, and I feel like i'd be ok to take it apart and clean it. However the transformer seems a little unconvincing. Im certainly not up to taking on something like that.