JX-8P getting stuck on "Roland JX-8P 12"

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Tiltrelia

JX-8P getting stuck on "Roland JX-8P 12"

Post by Tiltrelia » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:17 pm

After fixing my 8P's after touch and IC4 being bad, I transported the synth to where I planned to use it and as soon as I turn it on it got stuck on "Roland JX-8P 12." It will consistently do this whenever it is turned on, but if I pick it up and rotate it vertically, it would count down and actually work, even if I put it back in the position it was not working in. I suspect a possible crack on a solder joint since moving it fixes the issue, but I do not see anything on the board. Any suggestions?

Rasputin

Re: JX-8P getting stuck on "Roland JX-8P 12"

Post by Rasputin » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:23 pm

Tiltrelia wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:17 pm
I suspect a possible crack on a solder joint since moving it fixes the issue, but I do not see anything on the board. Any suggestions?
When it's in a state of failure, use a plastic spudger, chopstick, or other pointed device which is not conductive and probe around until it (hopefully) comes back to life.

Look even more closely around where you just pressed. Surely there's either a bad solder joint or other connection which you missed, or you're actually breaking a ground which isn't supposed to exist but now does because of the assembly/disassembly during the diagnosis and repair episodes.

dorrismillerrr123

Re: JX-8P getting stuck on "Roland JX-8P 12"

Post by dorrismillerrr123 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:01 am

Try to disassemble and assemble it (if you understand this). It could be a displacement of the parts inside, and when you put it in a vertical position, then they fall into place. Check it out.