Peavey DPM V2 no sound

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Virgule

Peavey DPM V2 no sound

Post by Virgule » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:26 pm

Hello VSExlporers,

The unit powers on fine but even with a battery change and reset, there is no sound.

I brought it to a repair shop but they could not answer why. Every voltage checks out but there are no readings at audio switcher IC while playing the internal demo.

Should I try to replace it or is it indicative of a problem lying elsewhere?

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Re: Peavey DPM V2 no sound

Post by blueknob » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:38 pm

I repaired a DPM se recently, the damage was caused by leaking battery goo rotting PCB tracks/traces. I was surpised at there was no real signs of goo or any leakage but in time I found some rotted out items. With the kbd I fixed Peavey have a diagnostic disk that gave me a head start. I'm not sure if that would work in your situation but PM me and I'll show you where it is.

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:01 pm

Thank you blueknob.... I have read your posts here regarding DPM repair and also a page detailing a DPM3 overhaul. I was wondering if that was you...

http://crasno.ca/articles/PeaveyDPM3SE.htm

The V2/V3 modules don't have a disk drive or built-in diagnostics mode and now I got a 'DSP Power-up failure: 1 error msg just now.

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:51 pm

That's a good find, no it's not me but could have! Mine had the exact same battery leak which took out some tracks/traces. My fear was the cute white DSP chips might be dead, thankfully a buzz out of the tracks/traces and I found the probs. The diag disk was a help too.

My only suggestion now is, keep calm, no need to rush I feel the info you need will surface in time. Usually when a thing is well made (as Peavey are) once the right information appears it can be fixed. Peavey might have the cct diag if you ask them politely.

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:05 am

Peavey are definately helpful and provided me the schematics for the V2, just as they did for the V3 a few years ago.

I reset the machine and the 'DSP powerup' error is gone. There could be a hidden diag routine for the modules but I never heard of it .