Ensoniq SQ-80 Blowing Fuses

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Televicious

Ensoniq SQ-80 Blowing Fuses

Post by Televicious » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:01 pm

Trying to track the problem. Originally I kept getting the issue where the keyboard would not calibrate on startup, so I took that apart and checked that the two boards had continuity over the connector and cleaned up the whole thing and all the coils and whatnot. I put it all back together and turned it on and F4 snd F5 blew immediately. The display edges light up with no text on screen. Going through and checked the output power voltages on J2 and it appears the 5V is not getting anything, though 12V works fine. So I'm waiting on more fuses to try and power it without anything connected to verify if it's some sort of short on the display or key bed or something or if it actually is somehow a Vreg or Cap that died ever so coincidentally to me having cleaned the key bed. Everything I test on the power board appears to be just fine except the fuses and I haven't found any weird continuity or shorts on the other lines yet. Anyone else ever deal with these? Similar issues? Just curious.

Rasputin

Re: Ensoniq SQ-80 Blowing Fuses

Post by Rasputin » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:02 pm

Televicious wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:01 pm
I put it all back together and turned it on and F4 snd F5 blew immediately.
You reversed the keyboard ribbon cable.

Televicious

Post by Televicious » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:32 pm

Rasputin wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:02 pm
Televicious wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:01 pm
I put it all back together and turned it on and F4 snd F5 blew immediately.
You reversed the keyboard ribbon cable.
Nope, it's exactly as it should be. Thanks for the idea though.

Televicious

Post by Televicious » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:21 pm

Well, finally got new fuses and after disconnecting and reconnecting everything it is not blowing fuses anymore. Think it was a bad connector. Now though it keeps randomly re-calibrating the keyboard and freezing. Think maybe the ribbon cable is shot or does this thing need a re-cap?