MININOVA NOVATION Keyboard problem

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Thomash

MININOVA NOVATION Keyboard problem

Post by Thomash » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:26 pm

Hello

I have a problem with part of the keyboard, the first 8 keys on the left of my Mininova have stopped working, the rest of the keys work without problems.

Course of events:

In my Mininova the apeggiator potentiometer was damaged, which caused the wrong sound quality, and of course the malfunction of the arp tempo.

Unfortunately, I do not have a service manual, but I undertook to replace this potentiometer, which was not easy due to the high degree of complexity of access to this component.

I removed the bad pot.. but by the way I damaged the path on the PCB to which the mass of this potentiometer was soldered. After assembly, everything worked ok except the left octave button and these 8 keys.

I disassembled Mininova again, repairing the broken circuit, everything returned to normal except for those 8 keys on the left side, I thought it was a matter of the tape connecting the keyboard with the Mininova mainbord and I tried all the way to plug it in again, but with the same effect - 8 keys still do not work . What else could be the reason for this ??

PS. I will add, that after connecting the control keyboard to the Mininova via midi, all 5 octaves work correctly
PS' Maybe someone would have a service manual or any diagrams? It could help me a lot!

Best Regards bros and sists !
Thomash

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: MININOVA NOVATION Keyboard problem

Post by madtheory » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:24 am

Most likely the rubber strip containing the contacts (under the keys) got moved when you disassembled it. It is probably off-centre, or even dusty.

Another possibility: Post a pic of the "tape". If it's the delicate type of ribbon connector, it's easy to damage one of the strips. That can be repaired if you're both lucky and very very careful. Otherwise you're looking at replacing it.

Thomash

Re: MININOVA NOVATION Keyboard problem

Post by Thomash » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:41 pm

Hi
Right now, exactly in this moment, after a few trouble and few days, I was able to gently disassemble the mininova keys. It is amazing and very sad how delicate these elements are!
Clearly Novation is oriented on making money on spare parts.
As for the rubber band, it looks fine, especially since the band has dowels for position.
However, I can see that the FFC tape connection is tragic and ultra fragile at least !!!
Tomorrow, I'll take care of it.

PS Where are the synthesizers from the old days !!! ???? I also have a Yamaha SY77, somehow this key is amazing in towards very high quality !!!

Thanks for posting
best regards
Thomash