soaking / submerging gear/boards in denatured alcohol?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
part12studios

soaking / submerging gear/boards in denatured alcohol?

Post by part12studios » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:54 pm

Hi there,

I just got my hands on an old peavey 8 channel line mixer for my synths and as you can imagine the pots a bit scratchy.. normally i open up something and spray the pots in those nice spots and this does the trick, but this particulars 2U model didn't do many favors in making the pots easy to squirt deoxit into them..

I recently serviced a keyboard with some denatured alcohol and that did nice. It got me wondering if it might be possible to make a tray of alcohol and just dip the board in that.. keeping the solvent fresh / clean.. soak the board turn the knobs while submerged and dry it out.

I know common sense would be to avoid things that have material that would be adversely effected by alcohol but this board is pretty much a solid circuit board.. no capacitors or tubes, etc..

Just wondering if this is common practice at all.

I did clean it already and reassemble it sadly i had to run to work before i could test it.. hoping it did the trick but i'm skeptical and will test it tonight to confirm. usually when i know i got a pot nice and clean, the resistance of the knob tends to loosen.. these still feel pretty stiff.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: soaking / submerging gear/boards in denatured alcohol?

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:15 pm

I've never seen it done for cleaning pots!!!! Can't say I would recomend it.

I have seen circuit boards run through cleaning baths both before and after soldering during manufacturing.

Almost nobody builds audio gear with the idea that the pots should be easily accessible for cleaning.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:19 pm

well i've been pretty lucky so far then :) but most things i've serviced are 1U effects boards and such where you have a fairly accessible line of pots and usually there is a hole i can reach with my trusty deoxit spray tube.

but yea i do get that serious knobage boards like mixers and such (this is a line mixer) can get pretty dicey.. so yea i mean dipping might be extreme, but then again to me the idea of desoldering 30+ knobs and resoldering them or replacing them doesn't seem much less extreme either..

scratchy pots irk me..

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:10 pm

I reassembled the unit and tested it last night. i'm pleased to report that everything is clean now.. didn't feel like i was really getting in there like i have in the past but at least for now, no soaking :)