Boss DR-660 display very faint

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
mmrizio

Boss DR-660 display very faint

Post by mmrizio » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:25 pm

Today I switched on my Boss DR-660 drummachine - after more than a year - and it's display does not work. Well... looking at an angle I see some change when I switch on or off: All/most segments light up very faintly.
The sounds and buttons of the DR-660 are as expected, so I assume most of the machine still works, including the small led indicating the tempo. The faint display does not react to any of the actions.
What I tried:
- A different power supply (both original BOSS 12v AC adapters)
- Reseating most connectors - but the display appears to be mounted directly on the main PCB
- Replacing the battery
but still no luck.

Any ideas?

Rasputin

Re: Boss DR-660 display very faint

Post by Rasputin » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:19 am

mmrizio wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:25 pm
Any ideas?
You could try varying amounts of pressure on the display to see if certain segments come back. If so, clean the rubber zebra contact strips, and make sure they're aligned properly when reassembled. If that doesn't help, rotate the reflective foil behind the display glass a full 180 degrees.

This is something known to occur on the Boss DR-110 which has a similar screen.

mmrizio

Re: Boss DR-660 display very faint

Post by mmrizio » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:31 pm

I had a real quick check. I did not see a lot of change after pushing and skewing the display.
I didn't see how the display is attached to the PCB, but it felt kind of solid. Can I just pull the display from the conductive rubbers?

I hope to have some more time to check tomorrow night.