ARP Omni 2 - slide pots?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

ARP Omni 2 - slide pots?

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:01 am

So I picked up an Omni, which I'm quite happy with, but unfortunately it's seriously in need of TLC - all the sliders are damn near completely seized up, and some of the cheapo plastic shafts are breaking on top of that. Additionally, some of the switches are unresponsive. I'm considering strategies for sorting these out; I could try removing and doing a deep clean on the aforementioned components, but particularly with the sliders I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. The buttons are listed in the service manual as DIGITAST-ST, which Mouser appears to have in stock, so that's probably viable. Unfortunately, the sliders appear to be manufacturer-specific - the "ARP part number" in the service manual is identical to the "ARP/Mfg. Number," and Syntaur lists them as "ARP-style" (and out-of-stock, natch.) Can anyone weigh in on whether these are readily replaceable with any more standard part? I suppose I can always measure the dimensions and look through the listings on Mouser/Digikey for matching parts with the proper configuration/values, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone else has prior experience with this...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

synthchaser

Re: ARP Omni 2 - slide pots?

Post by synthchaser » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:36 pm

I've not found any drop in substitutes through the major distributors, so I've had replicas of the originals remanufactured and I carrry them on my site:

https://synthchaser.com/product-categor ... /arp/omni/

I also have made LED-illuminated sliders for the Omni 2. I find to get the originals clean, you have to completely disassemble them, and it's just not worth the time.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:10 pm

Yeah, that was my experience trying to clean up the sliders on a Moog Opus-3 - a pain in the a*s, and it didn't really work anyway. Someone on MW already tipped me off to your offerings - I'll keep that in mind :)

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:40 am

Well, having a quiet weekend with nothing on the docket thanks to ongoing world events, and having picked up a recap kit and a set of sliders recently, I started in on recapping the Omni this afternoon. Thing I like: single-layer PCBs with plain solder traces means it's much less nerve-wracking to work on than fancier boards. Thing I hate with the fury of a thousand suns: the fact that the filter board is attached to the synthesizer board by means of big chunky standoff wires soldered directly in, which is going to make it h**l to remove and to replace. God dammit, ARP...