Balanced outputs - how to find out?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
ʝɵʝɵ
Gear: Roland D-50, U-220, XV-5080, Yamaha AN1x, CS1x, CS6R, TG77, Korg X5DR, Kawai K4, Kurzweil K2500

Re: Balanced outputs - how to find out?

Post by ʝɵʝɵ » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:36 pm

Okay, so I had time for one short quick test to confirm something I experienced during an earlier recording.
Here's a sine sweep at three different input levels, the last one being slightly above 0dB on the mixer output:

https://sagagames.de/stuff/with_behringer.flac
https://sagagames.de/stuff/without_behringer.flac

A direct comparison shows that the first of the three sweeps sounds pretty much the same in both files. However, at the beginning of the second and third sweep, there is definitely some distortion happening in the very low frequencies. I figured out that this can be a problem with fast attacks, but lowering the volume fixes that.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:33 pm

Very interesting. This would not go down well on Gearslutz :lol:

ʝɵʝɵ
Gear: Roland D-50, U-220, XV-5080, Yamaha AN1x, CS1x, CS6R, TG77, Korg X5DR, Kawai K4, Kurzweil K2500

Post by ʝɵʝɵ » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:48 pm

Yeah, it's definitely not optimal, but at reasonable (TM) levels it doesn't really seem to be an issue. Eventually I may replace those Behringers with more expensive units - now that I know that they do solve my issue, it's a no-brainer to spend more money on those boxes. But for their price, the Behringers do their job quite well, I'd say, and they do look nice, too (not that it matters, they are hidden in the rack :D).