Yamaha EX5 no sounds

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
mikeskory
Gear: Roland RD88, Roland RD300, Hammond XK1, Nord Electro 5hd and a pole barn full of 1950's and 60's organds

Yamaha EX5 no sounds

Post by mikeskory » Tue May 05, 2020 8:41 pm

After reading your posts, think of me as a 6 year old. We have just repaired a Yamaha EX5. 3 new keys, key spring, battery and 2 audio jacks. The keyboard plays a default acoustic piano but no other sounds. The customer does not have the discs. Question 1) Will the "system Initialization" procedure bring back any sounds at all? 2)Is there a way in install factor sounds via USB?

Thank you,
Mike Skory
Lansing, MIchigan

mikeskory
Gear: Roland RD88, Roland RD300, Hammond XK1, Nord Electro 5hd and a pole barn full of 1950's and 60's organds

Yamaha EX5

Post by mikeskory » Wed May 06, 2020 4:33 am

I fixed up a friends EX5 by installing 3 keys, a flat spring, battery and the 2 audio out jacks. It play but with only 1 acoustic piano sound. My questions are so rudimentary but I just don't know where to start. 1) Will performing the "system initialization" bring back any sounds at all? 2)The customer does not have the discs. Is it possible to download and install the factory sounds via a lap top USB through a midi-connector to the midi in/out on the EX5? 3) Do I need a progran installed into my laptop to do this. What is a common program?

Thank you in advance for the help.
Mike Skory

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Yamaha EX5 no sounds

Post by meatballfulton » Wed May 06, 2020 12:50 pm

Get the user manual here

According to p.27, a system initialization will clear all data to the factory state EXCEPT the factory soundsets. For that you need the appropriate Demonstration Disk.

This page still has active links to disk images. You will of course need a Windows based floppy drive to create a new disk.

There is also support information at this website which appears to be still active as of Feb. 2020.

Good luck.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.