Korg sq 1 compatibility

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Redsourstraw

Korg sq 1 compatibility

Post by Redsourstraw » Thu May 14, 2020 12:41 am

Just picked up an sq 1 from a friend and curious to the compatibility. I have an electribe and a Cs-01 at home can I use? Or do I need a volca piece. If anybody wants to help by telling me what I can use, preferably in the cheaper range if the electribe or CS-01 won’t work let me know

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Re: Korg sq 1 compatibility

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Thu May 14, 2020 10:19 am

Redsourstraw wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:41 am
Just picked up an sq 1 from a friend and curious to the compatibility. I have an electribe and a Cs-01 at home can I use? Or do I need a volca piece. If anybody wants to help by telling me what I can use, preferably in the cheaper range if the electribe or CS-01 won’t work let me know
The SQ-1 is a cool little step sequencer - I use mine mainly for my DIY Syncussion :D.

However, a 1*16 or 2*8 step sequencer imho doesn't make much sense with an Electribe (regardless which one it is), and the Electribes have on-board sequencers anyway.

Using it on a Yamaha CS01 requires the latter being modified to accept external sequencer inputs, since that synth originally has neither CV/gate nor MIDI inputs. In other words: It is simply impossible to connect an external sequencer to an unmodified Yamaha CS 01.

The SQ-1 works with many synths (not only the Volcas), but - as pointed out above - it is not a good choice for an Electribe, and only suitable for the CS 01 if the latter is modified so it will accept signals from a sequencer.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

Redsourstraw

Post by Redsourstraw » Thu May 14, 2020 6:35 pm

So anything midi could be controlled by the sq-1? I have a cheap little electric piano keyboard thing with midi wonder if that could be controlled? Sorry I’m pretty new to this. I know it’s not a stand alone unit but could I sequence things in GarageBand?
Attachments
F296902D-9590-4802-9131-B7EA8BD7A92E.jpeg

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:50 pm

does it have one midi port or two? a lot of those that i have seen only have midi out

Redsourstraw

Post by Redsourstraw » Thu May 14, 2020 8:17 pm

This particular unit has midi in and out. So midi cable coming out of sq-1 into the midi in on the keyboard should work?

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:19 pm

yes but be aware you need to see what channel the sq1 is sending on.

Redsourstraw

Post by Redsourstraw » Thu May 14, 2020 11:35 pm

If you could explain more I’d be grateful

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Fri May 15, 2020 9:11 pm

Redsourstraw wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:35 pm
So anything midi could be controlled by the sq-1? I have a cheap little electric piano keyboard thing with midi wonder if that could be controlled?
Basically yes, but only single notes and not chords, since that's all the SQ-1 can provide.

Re: channel
MIDI equipment is able to send and/or receive MIDI on 16 different channels. Both sending and receiving units must be set to the same chalnnel or they won't be able to commuinicate (think of it like voice radio, in a way). It may be possible to set the receiving (slave) unit to "all chanels", which means it will "listen" to whatever commands are coming in through MIDI.

Using different channels can for instance be used to daisy chain instruments, such as

SQ-1 -> Instrument X -> Instrument Y,

with the SQ-1 going into the MIDI in of instrument X, and MIDI Thru of Instrument X is connected to MIDI in of Instrument Y. Setting the SQ-1 to one of the 2 channel modes will now make the SQ-1 sendi channel A data on one MIDI channel and channel B data on another MIDI channel.

Let's say you set SQ-1 channel A to MIDI channel 1, and SQ-1 channel B to MIDI channel 2...
... and instrument X to MIDI channel 1 and instrument Y to MIDI channel 2. You will now be able to control instrument X wich SQ-1 channel A, and instrument Y with SQ-1 channel B.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971