KingKORG Humidity/Function Issue?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
gp11626

KingKORG Humidity/Function Issue?

Post by gp11626 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:52 pm

I bought a KingKORG synthesizer about 2 years ago. I lived in an apartment I kept air conditioned for the majority of the time, especially during hot and humid days. I recently moved to a renovated farm house out in PA where my brother and I have an open air studio setup. We have a couple fans blowing in the studio. We have a great cross breeze that comes through from west to east windows. The other day it was a pretty humid day. I'd say upwards of 65% to 70% humidity. The keyboard I had sitting on its stand as is usual. I came down to play the keyboard during about noon and when I turned it on the entire right half was off and not illuminated. During the boot-up phase the lights do a rainbow effect all the way to the right, but once booted the lights did not illuminate at all. I was able to choose selections of sound with the main dial which did display, but no lights were illuminated and the two right LCD displays were off. I freaked out and put it in my room with AC for the day. Later that night I turned it on and everything was fine. I brought it out the next day which was much less humid and less hot and after a minute of playing everything went blank. I brought it back in the AC for the day and everything worked fine. Is this a common problem with the KingKORG I did not know about? Are there any certain maintenance actions I'm missing and should be performing? I'm just curious because I know that these synthesizers are played on tour in some very tropical and humid locations and it would really suck to have your keyboard cut out right before a concert. I'm trying to get some tips and help to troubleshoot what is going on and what I may need to do to have proper performance from now on. Appreciate any help...

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: KingKORG Humidity/Function Issue?

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:50 pm

gp11626 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:52 pm
I bought a KingKORG synthesizer about 2 years ago. I lived in an apartment I kept air conditioned for the majority of the time, especially during hot and humid days. I recently moved to a renovated farm house out in PA where my brother and I have an open air studio setup. *snip*
one: do you have it on a surge protector? Rural power can be... finicky

two: does it use a wall wart? I'd suspect the power supply first

After that, I'd consult Korg.