Please help Urgently! Korg M1 noise level

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
sam5980

Please help Urgently! Korg M1 noise level

Post by sam5980 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:57 am

Hello everyone!
I bought a Korg M1 from ebay. When I connected to my sound card I have around -65 db noise. It does not matter to which ones of the 4 outputs I connect to. I appreciate to know what is the normal noise out put of Korg M1
I noticed if I connect the M1 directly to my monitors I have no noise.
I am using E-MU 1616M sound card and the interesting part is that I connected to keyboards into it. The first one does not have any noise when I connect it but the M1 has this noise. Even if I unplug the first keyboard and connect its cable to M1 again noise appears. Sound looks like a ground problem but I do not understand why.
When I am using the M1 directly to the speakers and I use the same input voltage cable that has ground I have no noise (however when I press a key, beside of the instrument sound there is a low noise into it which I also do not know if it is natural in M1 or not) but as soon as I connect it to sound card high noise appears

Thanks
Best regards,
Sam

Rasputin

Re: Please help Urgently! Korg M1 noise level

Post by Rasputin » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:59 am

sam5980 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:57 am
I also do not know if it is natural in M1 or not) but as soon as I connect it to sound card high noise appears
I am going to assume the M1 and the computer/audio interface (sound card) are plugged into the same electrical circuit in your residence.

There are a couple things you can try:

- Power the M1 or the computer on a complete different circuit (extension cord to your neighbors?)
- Use something with an isolating transformer? Furman power conditioner? APS unplugged and on battery?
- Ground lift the M1 (temporarily) -- you know, those "cheater" plugs with only 2 prongs for old houses.

If any of those remedy the situation then you can suss out a permanent fix.

sam5980

Post by sam5980 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:25 am

Rasputin wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:59 am
sam5980 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:57 am
I also do not know if it is natural in M1 or not) but as soon as I connect it to sound card high noise appears
I am going to assume the M1 and the computer/audio interface (sound card) are plugged into the same electrical circuit in your residence.

There are a couple things you can try:

- Power the M1 or the computer on a complete different circuit (extension cord to your neighbors?)
- Use something with an isolating transformer? Furman power conditioner? APS unplugged and on battery?
- Ground lift the M1 (temporarily) -- you know, those "cheater" plugs with only 2 prongs for old houses.

If any of those remedy the situation then you can suss out a permanent fix.
Thanks!
I connected it directly to my speakers. I still have a noise when I press the keys + the fourth output has a buzz noise even without pressing any keys. By the way how much should be the noise of just plug the M1 in to a monitor? I could also hear a little bit noise when i plug it but when I press a key the noise is too much and somehow also it makes sound of the instruments distorted at the tail. I also found that After touch key does not working + the master tuning.
Do you have any idea how much cost it has to repair such problems? perhaps it has other issues that I am not aware of it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Post by Yekuku » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:04 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.
The noise that you are describing could be a common issue for the M1.
A capacitor in the power supply and a resistor on the DAC board could be the culprit.
check this thread:
http://forum.vintagesynth.com/viewtopic.php?t=53799
It is all about sharing...