Kawai K1 ii - keys repeat or echo

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
rdc

Kawai K1 ii - keys repeat or echo

Post by rdc » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:37 am

I dug an old Kawai K1 ii out of storage recently. It seemed to be working OK, so I started looking around for software to use with it. I don't think I changed any of the patches when I experimented with different programs, but somewhere along the way the synthesizer started generating an echo every time I pressed a key. It was as if I had pressed the key twice -- perhaps 1/2 to 1 second apart. This effect seems to apply to every patch and makes it more or less impossible to play any music. Is it time to open up the box and look for loose wires and the like? Or is it possible that I accidentally changed something in the K1's configuration?

rdc

Re: Kawai K1 ii - keys repeat or echo

Post by rdc » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:38 pm

Easy fix for this one: RTFM! I had accidentally set EFFECT=16 (page 44 of the manual). Resetting it to 1 made the "problem" previously described go away. Only mystery for me at the moment is how on earth the battery is still functioning after all these years. (All the patches seem to be intact.)