Oberheim DX - Old Program Cassettes - WAV to MIDI?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
lowlights
Gear: None
Band: Dreaming Out Loud

Oberheim DX - Old Program Cassettes - WAV to MIDI?

Post by lowlights » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:25 am

I have some old cassette tape programs for an Oberheim DX. They sound like screechy modem audio.

Can they be "played" by an existing Oberheim DX - if I perhaps converted to WAV and sent them to somebody on the forum who offered this kind of "service"?

I don't own an Oberheim DX, but I have a cassette deck and a Universal Audio interface and could easily transfer to WAV, if someone could take that on the other end and load the programs into a DX and play them back? Or export them to MIDI (so I could pull them into my DAW and use with VI samples)?

Is this insane? Would love to find a person willing to help with resurrecting these old drum programs.

Rasputin

Re: Oberheim DX - Old Program Cassettes - WAV to MIDI?

Post by Rasputin » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:43 pm

It's not insane. You should post the WAVs (or FLAC) here. I think someone with one of the last U.S. models would be able to do it fairly easily. It's conceptually possible to do it with just a computer program, but it would require a bit of effort, and the market for such a utility is probably very slight.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:25 pm

If you don't have a DX, where did you get the tapes? :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:34 am

I own a DX (and a DMX). I'd love to get hold of the audio data to load into my machine. I'll happily post a video showing the patterns and/or songs that are in the audio data.

You can record them into your computer and save them as WAV or MP3 files. I guess you would need to upload them to some sort of file sharing site like DropBox and provide us with the URL.

Do you have data tapes for any other electronic instruments? I have a decent collection of vintage gear.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear