Roland JP-8000 Crashes When MIDI is Hooked Up

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
ben37

Roland JP-8000 Crashes When MIDI is Hooked Up

Post by ben37 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:56 pm

Hello there,

Specifically...

When midi is hooked up to my computer via a midi interface (i have tried two different midi interfaces),
the JP-8000 receives midi fine (I can trigger sounds on the JP via midi from my DAW).

However, if I merely touch or try to make any change to the Ribbon, Mod wheel, or Arpeggiator section, the JP-8000 crashes (all buttons freeze, the sound goes crazy, notes play endlessly, powering off and rebooting is the only way out).

Those sections of the synth function normally when midi is NOT hooked up.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Last edited by ben37 on Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Roland JP-8000 Crashes When MIDI is Hooked Up

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:17 am

You have created a MIDI loop. On the JP8000 try setting Local to OFF (read the manual to see how to do this).
Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 7.16.52 PM.png
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

ben37

Post by ben37 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:07 am

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried that.
Turning off local control means I'm getting no sound from the Synth. Neither its keyboard nor my other midi devices can trigger any sound from it.

When I play a note on the keyboard, although I hear nothing, midi connection does register in my DAW.
With local control off, despite hearing no sound, I touched the Mod Wheel to see if the crash would still occur... it did.

To sum up, any successful midi connection, regardless of Local Control status, creates a situation where the mod wheel, ribbon, and arpeggiator triggers the crash.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:55 am

try disconnecting the midi IN. if that does it, it is indeed a loop.

ben37

Post by ben37 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:37 am

:o
You are a legend my friend. That fixed it.

So, why is this loop happening?
For my current purposes, the lack of an IN is fine. But don't I need a midi in if I ever want to send midi from the JP-8000 into other devices?

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:41 am

Yes. The problem is, the channel you have MIDI coming into the DAW from on your PC is passing right back out to the synth. You basically need to make sure that midi data does not get sent back out to the synth... how to do that varies by DAW.

desmond

Post by desmond » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:28 pm

The traditional set up is to have MIDI local off on your synth.

This means that when you play it, it directly does not make a sound (so you can use the keyboard to play any instrument in your DAW), and when you want to play the synth, you select a track in your DAW that routes MIDI back to the synth, just like any other instrument..

Even with the above config, if the synth echoes some MIDI controller data back and thus creates a MIDI loop, you might need to filter that MIDI data in your DAW.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:44 pm

ben37 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:37 am
For my current purposes, the lack of an IN is fine. But don't I need a midi in if I ever want to send midi from the JP-8000 into other devices?
You have it backwards. The MIDI IN is so the DAW or other devices can play the JP.

How the heck do you have your gear connected anyway?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

ben37

Post by ben37 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:07 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:44 pm
How the heck do you have your gear connected anyway?
All my synths are connected to my computer via USB midi. Except for the JP, which is connected via a midi interface.
In Logic each synth has its own track with the External Instrument plugin.
Whichever track you highlight, all connected midi devices in the studio play that synth.

This now works with the JP too, with one midi cable from the midi interface's OUT going to the JP's IN.

The setup I had before that caused the loop was two midi cables, in and out, and the JP setup like this in the audio midi setup (still is) see screenshot
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 4.00.13 PM.jpg

ben37

Post by ben37 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:42 pm

desmond wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:28 pm
The traditional set up is to have MIDI local off on your synth.
Hmmm thanks for the input. I'm (clearly) new to thinking about midi setups. Most of my synths connect via usb midi and everything just kinda works.
I am confused by local control. On most of my synths, having it on or off makes no difference, iow I hear sound either way and the setup works the same. (I outline the basics of my setup in a post above)
With the JP, turning off local control means no sound.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:21 am

When you turn local control off, the JP is actually being played by Logic. Playing the keys send notes into Logic which are routed back to the JP. If attaching the MIDI OUT of the interface to the MIDI IN of the JP makes it go haywire whether local is on or off, yet notes are not sounding with local off you have must something misrouted inside Logic.

This is something that could be fixed in a few minutes if someone with Logic experience could sit down with you. Unfortunately, doing this in a fourm thread is going to take a longer time.

Do you have MIDI Monitor installed on your Mac? If not download it (free) and install. Launch it and start playing the JP and tweaking controls. MIDI Monitor will display all the MIDI traffic and you can save the results for later review. It will show you both what the JP is sending to Logic and what Logic is sending to the JP.

ben37

Post by ben37 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:24 am

Appreciate the help.
Midi Monitor seems to show what we already know, that when I touch the pitch wheel (in this case) it loops endlessly...
Exact same result with local on and off. And again, I have yet to hear sound with local off. Hmm
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 7.15.06 PM.jpg

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:47 am

OK, can you successfully record MIDI notes into Logic? This should work regardless of the setting for Local.

If so, set up an External MIDI track. Forget about the External Instrument plugin for now. Route the output to the JP. When you play the track back, does the JP respond to the MIDI?

If so, now try messing with the wheels and see if you get the same crazy behavior.

ben37

Post by ben37 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:07 am

Thanks, gave that a shot.
Created an external midi track.
Recorded midi region /notes successfully.
Hit cycle and clicked play, midi from logic plays the JP8000.
Touched the pitch wheel on the JP8000, went bonkers as normal.
Just FYI I could do all these things with the former ext instrument plugin setup.
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 10.02.56 PM.jpg

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:16 pm

OK, so it's not an External Instrumnent setup issue. Did you have any other gear hooked up to Logic via USB at the same time?

Try this:

-- Disconnect MIDI IN from JP

-- Record a MIDI track with lots of pitch wheel action

-- Reconnect MIDI IN and play back recorded track, does JP go bonkers?

Also this:

-- Insert the MIDI Modifier plugin as a MIDI effect on a track. Set it to filter out pitch bend.

-- Play JP

Does it now work OK?