DX7 Power Cycling?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
jgeroux2

DX7 Power Cycling?

Post by jgeroux2 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:22 pm

Hi all.

I have a DX7 that will start power cycling once warm. No sound (only sine wave) and won't play sounds from cartridge or internal memory. Will shut off and turn back on again even though power button has not been touched.

Any ideas where to start looking?

Jarred

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: DX7 Power Cycling?

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:03 pm

First, I would get my hands on the schematics and if possible the service manual. Then I'd open up the DX to get access to the power supply and meter the various supply voltages.

Do NOT do this unless you are familiar with the dangers of poking around circuitry while the AC power is on, you could damage the unit or electrocute yourself.

If you have a heat gun available, use it to slowly warm up the supply and watch what happens to the voltages. If you don't have a gun, just leave the DX powered up and keep an eye on the voltages.

Again, be careful! If you have no electronics repair experience, take it to someone who is qualified.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:09 pm

^^

What he said, plus:

Upon opening the synth (unplug it from the mains supply before doing so) and before re-connecting it to the mains supply and measuring voltages, check the PSU visually. Especially for damaged/leaking/bulging electrolytic caps and obvious broken solder joints.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

SciNote

Post by SciNote » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:50 pm

^^^
What they said...

And, as an extra word of caution, remember that capacitors can hold a potentially lethal charge even after the unit is unplugged from the mains (household AC power outlet), and they can hold this charge for a significant amount of time after the unit has been unplugged. So, as mentioned above, do not attempt any of this if you are not familiar with electronic circuitry and the dangers of working on it, whether the unit is plugged into the mains power outlet or not.