Ensoniq EPS Noise and Other Glitches

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Ahow77

Ensoniq EPS Noise and Other Glitches

Post by Ahow77 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:50 am

Hey All,

I've got an EPS that's acting funny. The most bothersome issue is a noisier than desired audio output. It produces a slight high pitched whine that changes slightly when buttons or keys are pressed; and I can hear through the outputs when the floppy drive or SCSI interface is being accessed.

I was thinking that the first thing I might try would be to recap the psu, and when I was inspecting it I noticed what looked like some dried fluid, or some other kind of corrosion below one of the voltage regulators. Do voltage regulators contain fluid that can leak out?

Here's a pic of the voltage regulator (you have to click on the pic to see the whole thing - aka the "leaky" part):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DYJPoW6TkxHjVaUK7

Other glitches include: sometimes after being on for a while it will stop producing sound which is remedied by restarting it, if there's a sound in slot 1 it will automatically be layered onto sounds in the other slots (even if the light for slot 1 isn't lit), the "amp" button isn't responding, which I was hoping could be fixed with contact cleaner, but maybe it's related?

I checked all of the internal connections and they seem to be nice and snug. This is otherwise a really clean EPS. I got it for $75 (yay!) and it looks like it's hardly been used. I upgraded it with v2.40 firmware and a 4X memory expander with SCSI that I took off another EPS that wasn't as clean. I've had it for almost a couple of years now but have only recently really started using it. I'm pretty sure these issues are new though. Any thoughts and/or advice is appreciated!

Here's a pic of the mainboard with rev#, etc if that's helpful..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NwD7K2nNczmm3KqF8

Hyde
Gear: ASR10
EPS16
EPS
Mirage
S2000
ESI2000
SY35
SQ1+
K1000
Band: When Violets Turn Grey

Re: Ensoniq EPS Noise and Other Glitches

Post by Hyde » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:34 pm

I have 2 EPS keyboards. I had to change the main board in one, resolder links to the keyboard contact boards together on the other. I talked to in guy in Seattle who said he had 7 backup EPS machines for parts, because they were unreliable. The EPS is my favorite sampler. Such a great machine. thesoniq.com is the best source for repairs. As values continue to rise, outside repairs will make more sense. I fix what I can. When it's over my head(which is often), I go from trying to fix parts to replacing circuit boards. A hood lift often cost $100, plus parts & labor. At this point it's almost cheaper to replace the whole machine. but, things seem to be changing, fast.

I hope you figure out the issue. If you ever want to sell the 4x expander, I'm always looking.

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq, vintage Macs and the like.

Re: Ensoniq EPS Noise and Other Glitches

Post by blueknob » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:26 am

Yeh I think everyone who see that PSU pik will say, rebuilt it. Clean off all goop, replace the canned caps. I've found tants die, usually with smoke and a bang. I don't think the PSU had any but check. One thing I have noticed with ensoniq, they used good quality PCB/components. That mainboard PCB layout is really something in 1987, PCB CAD was just emerging.
Suggestion: there are a lot of suspect electrolytic caps about, try and buy from reputable dealer rather then cheapest from ebay.