I must be too stupid for MIDI.....

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: I must be too stupid for MIDI.....

Post by rschnier » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:28 am

madtheory wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:40 pm

The Modarrt plugins do not need a DAW! There's a simple recorder built in. Makes an audio file that you can edit later, with Audacity.

Easiest way for you to get started.
...and it's worth mentioning that the Modarrt software isn't necessarily even a "plugin." Both Organteq and Pianoteq run quite easily as standalone Windows or Mac (or even Linux) programs. I run Pianoteq standalone all the time when I just want to "play piano" without having to fire up any other software.
-- R.

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rschnier » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:35 am

DesertRatt wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:21 am
In my fantasy, I Connect my midi keyboard to my PC, load a program, select ORGAN, and organ notes come out of my PC speakers!
So going back to your original post -- you would do exactly what's in your fantasy! You'd run Organteq, select a config option in the program to link it up with your MIDI keyboard (only has to be done the first time you run the program), and there you go. And you can also record and play back from within that same program.

Edit: I also just noticed that the Microsoft Store has a free program called Organ 10, that's controllable via MIDI and offers record/playback. So you wouldn't need to buy anything beyond what you already have.

Good luck!
-- R.

DesertRatt

Post by DesertRatt » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:52 am

rschnier wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:35 am
DesertRatt wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:21 am
In my fantasy, I Connect my midi keyboard to my PC, load a program, select ORGAN, and organ notes come out of my PC speakers!
So going back to your original post -- you would do exactly what's in your fantasy! You'd run Organteq, select a config option in the program to link it up with your MIDI keyboard (only has to be done the first time you run the program), and there you go. And you can also record and play back from within that same program.

Edit: I also just noticed that the Microsoft Store has a free program called Organ 10, that's controllable via MIDI and offers record/playback. So you wouldn't need to buy anything beyond what you already have.

Good luck!
Thanks! I so much appreciate the help you folks have offered! I’ll try one of these organ software and see how it goes.
Cheers to you all!

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:58 pm

Just a thought, you could always get a little hardware piano module such as this:

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/e-mu- ... ance-1/448

You can pick these up second hand very cheap now. You'd still need a way to record it but this is probably the easiest and quickest way to play piano sounds from your controller keyboard, all you need is one midi cable

Kind Regards
Dave

desmond

Post by desmond » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:25 pm

The Q49 comes with a copy of Ableton's Live Lite and AIR Music Tech's Xpand!2 software, for performing, recording, and sequencing music right out of the box.
So you probably already have the software that could do a passable job at doing what you want, that came with your keyboard... (Live Lite as the DAW/Recorder, and Xpand!2 as the instrument for organs/pianos etc.)

DesertRatt

Post by DesertRatt » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:02 pm

desmond wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:25 pm
The Q49 comes with a copy of Ableton's Live Lite and AIR Music Tech's Xpand!2 software, for performing, recording, and sequencing music right out of the box.
So you probably already have the software that could do a passable job at doing what you want, that came with your keyboard... (Live Lite as the DAW/Recorder, and Xpand!2 as the instrument for organs/pianos etc.)

Sadly, no. I bought my Q49 used, and it came with nothing—not even a power supply!

That e-mu box looks really interesting! I found a used one for less than 100 bucks. I like the simplicity.

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:31 pm

That e-mu box looks really interesting! I found a used one for less than 100 bucks. I like the simplicity.
I have one myself, bought it real cheap secondhand. Its small and neat, its super simple and quick to use if you just want to do a bit of piano playing! ;)

Kind Regards
Dave

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:45 pm

I'll second the recommendation of XPand2--it's not stellar or anything, but I have always liked it and found it a very charming and useful little ROMpler. Cheap as chips too--it's more or less permanently on sale (as of this writing, it's on AudioDeluxe for $10; Plugin Boutique frequently sells it for that or less, although they seem to be out of licenses at the moment). It is a VST2 plugin without a standalone version, but you can use Savihost to run it (or indeed any VST) in a minimalistic shell sans DAW, giving you more or less the same experience as a first party standalone application. I don't know what to tell you re: recording without recourse to a DAW, although madtheory's suggestion is a good one.

I'd offer Reason as another possible option to explore if you're feeling a little more adventurous. There'd definitely be a steeper learning curve than just loading up a simple standalone program (although you certainly can just launch it, drag in an ID8 or one of the samplers with a piano or organ library and get underway) as these days it is a serviceable full-fledged DAW, albeit kind of an odd duck. Midi recording is straightforward and the overall design aims to be approachable--certainly more so than something like Reaper, for example, which is much more powerful but I think would also be a lot more opaque to someone just starting out; and with the synths, effects, mixing tools, and audio recording functionality, you'd have some room to grow as well. Definitely a try-before-you-buy proposition, although the "Intro Edition" is fairly inexpensive and might be a not too daunting way to get started with computer recording.

In any case, good luck and have fun!
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

DesertRatt

Post by DesertRatt » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:46 pm

Update: Day after Christmas

In for a penny, in for a pound! I dove off the deep end. I am now using Reaper, and have a Focusrite 4i4 interface on the way. I purchased Melodyne, and I’m evaluating instrument packs this morning. For now, to experiment, I’m feeding Reaper with my 4 track Tascam.

Although the Reaper manual is 500 pages, I’ve been able to make half a dozen recordings, using the basic VST plugs, which is a testament I suppose to the intuitiveness of their interface.

When the interface arrives Monday, I’ll be able to plug in Q49.... finally, and met the original goal.
I was resisting getting knee deep in another technology with all its special jargon and demands. I didn’t think i would have patience for it. But, I’m a little more elastic than I imagined, and I’m really having fun with it. Frankly, it’s addicting. Now, I’ve got to work on my chops.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:39 pm

Fantastic! Well done. Melodyne is amazing. So is Reaper.