Trying to find the synth used

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
JaffyTaffy

Trying to find the synth used

Post by JaffyTaffy » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:49 am

Hi my name is Jaffy, I'm a aspiring musician and nerd for the sound of early 80s synth, and as such I've been captivated by the sound of a song called Hard Times by The Jetzons, and so I wonder what was the synth used and such. Sorry if I don't sound knowledgeable, I am new to the synth scene.

desmond

Re: Trying to find the synth used

Post by desmond » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:25 pm

Maybe give us perhaps a *clue* as to which sound you are referring to? I mean, I know it's an important sound to *you*, but we are not in your head and thus don't know which sound you are talking about.

If you want to know what gear the band used in general, I'm sure some research should turn something up. Find when the song was released, and check videos/interviews/pictures etc

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:14 pm

According to Wikipedia, the Jetzons were only around from 1981-1983. So pre-MIDI...Moogs, ARPs, Prophet 5 maybe.

Their keyboard player Brad Buxer went on to a pretty sweet career...Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, Temptations, Paula Abdul, Air Supply, music director for Michael Jackson ($$$$$$), soundtracks, video game scores (he did Sonic the Hedgehog!).

Go look him up on Facebook ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

JaffyTaffy

Post by JaffyTaffy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:52 pm

desmond wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:25 pm
Maybe give us perhaps a *clue* as to which sound you are referring to? I mean, I know it's an important sound to *you*, but we are not in your head and thus don't know which sound you are talking about.

If you want to know what gear the band used in general, I'm sure some research should turn something up. Find when the song was released, and check videos/interviews/pictures etc
Being as specific as i can with my lack of knowledge (which I apologize for in advance) the sound I'm looking for is the sound in the song that gives it's general melody, and sounds that appear often in similar synth pop tracks of the time, with the Back to the Future aesthetic, and here's more examples of what I mean (Sorry for non knowledge in this topic, doing my best to describe what I'm looking for in as much detail i can provide :p

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:14 pm

What we need is an indication of the spot in the video that the sound first enters...in minutes and seconds, like 2:03, etc.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:34 am

JaffyTaffy wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:52 pm
ologize for in advance) the sound I'm looking for is the sound in the song that gives it's general melody, and sounds that appear often in similar synth pop tracks of the time, with the Back to the Future aesthetic,
I do not hear any melodic synth parts. For melody, there's the vocal and the guitar solo.

There's synth bass, pads, and short, percussive sounds doing ostinato sequences.

As others have mentioned, give us the time code where the sound starts, and we can help you better.

Now I don't hear anything from those sounds I mentioned above with any particular characteristics of specific synths of that era.

If you're looking to recreate these sounds, you can do it with most modern analog synthesizers as well as analog modelling hardware and software.

If you're wanting to know what synth are being used because you want to buy the same ones, be prepared to shell out thousands of dollars as vintage analog synths are pretty much collectors items now.

If you're just wanting to know to have the knowledge of what was used, then cool.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

JaffyTaffy

Post by JaffyTaffy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:16 am

hi, sorry for the ignorance again, and the sound I'm looking for is that maybe 4 seconds in, i know that one of the sounds comes from the Prophet 5, and also knowing what technology they used is also something else I'm looking for, i do have accuses to thousands of dollars so money isn't a worry of mines. I'm not talking about the drum beat btw ( Sorry for the ignorance, I've only been into synths for couple weeks now, but I'll learn someday :D)

JaffyTaffy

Post by JaffyTaffy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:24 am

Also, what are some good analog synths that i can buy, preferably something classic and old school

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:52 pm

JaffyTaffy wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:16 am
hi, sorry for the ignorance again, and the sound I'm looking for is that maybe 4 seconds in, i know that one of the sounds comes from the Prophet 5, and also knowing what technology they used is also something else I'm looking for, i do have accuses to thousands of dollars so money isn't a worry of mines. I'm not talking about the drum beat btw ( Sorry for the ignorance, I've only been into synths for couple weeks now, but I'll learn someday :D)
There's nothing new that starts at 4 seconds in. The song starts with drums, synth bass, and pads. Are you referring to the pad sound (the harmonic chord part that starts out mellow and gradually becomes brighter)?

Sequential just re-released the Prophet 5 for $3500 USD new.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

JaffyTaffy

Post by JaffyTaffy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:40 pm

Z wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:52 pm
JaffyTaffy wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:16 am
There's nothing new that starts at 4 seconds in. The song starts with drums, synth bass, and pads. Are you referring to the pad sound (the harmonic chord part that starts out mellow and gradually becomes brighter)?

Sequential just re-released the Prophet 5 for $3500 USD new.
Yes, and thanks for telling me what is, also thanks for telling me about the re-release, god bless