Midi question with Ableton 10 / Novation Supernova 2

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
RogerT

Midi question with Ableton 10 / Novation Supernova 2

Post by RogerT » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:38 am

Hello 👋

First time posting on here so I hope you can advise

Recently hooked up my rack mounted supernova 2 to Ableton 10 and have managed to get it playing via midi but cant remember how to record changes via midi as it’s been that long.

On the supernova, global setting is set to Enabled in both Incoming program and Incoming control

Any advice massively appreciated

Thanks

Roger

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Midi question with Ableton 10 / Novation Supernova 2

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:10 pm

If what you want to do is record parameter changes, during recording it should just record any CCs being sent.

If what you want to do is what people call automation these days that can be done in real time by setting the recording mode to be overdub. In Session mode, youy can set a clip to loop in overdub mode and tweak controls one by one as the clip loops until you're done.

From the manual:
The clip overdubs as it loops, allowing you to build your pattern layer by layer. However, if you would like to pause recording for a moment to rehearse, you can deactivate overdubbing by pressing the Session Record button again. The contents of the clip will continue to play, but you can play along without being recorded. When you are ready to record again, press the Session Record button once again. Subsequent presses of the Session Record button will toggle between playback and overdub.

At any time while overdub recording is going on, you can use the Undo command to remove the last take, or even draw, move or delete notes in the Clip View’s Note Editor.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.