Roland D50 Drifting Out Of Tune

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
DWM_Jazz

Roland D50 Drifting Out Of Tune

Post by DWM_Jazz » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:03 am

Good Day.

The other day I notice my beloved D50 performs just fine for about 5 minutes and then slides out of tune by about a 1/2 step. The master tune setting doesn't change. It's not controlling anything or being controlled by anything. Just mono output to line in on my amp. When I turn it off and let it sit for a bit, it comes back "in tune" before drifting out of tune again.

Reading other posts about D10's I am wondering if this might be a sign of a loose/dirty connection on the board somewhere.

Any educated guesses? I am searching out local techs who might be able to service it, but would like to know more before simply dropping it off at a local shop.

Thank you in advance for any help the group might be able to provide.

DWM

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq, vintage Macs and the like.

Re: Roland D50 Drifting Out Of Tune

Post by blueknob » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:58 am

Some time ago I got fooled by something similar. It turned out to be the pitch wheel pot was showing it age.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Roland D50 Drifting Out Of Tune

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:48 am

Try setting the bend range to 0 on a few patches and see if they stay in tune. That will confirm whether it's the bender.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.