Nova desktop won't stay powered up!

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Gothboy
Gear: NordLead 2, Mopho x4, Modal Argon8m, Roland System 1, Nord Micro, Novation Nova, Roland D-05, Korg Radias Yamaha A-3000 sampler
Band: Dymaxion Vehicle

Nova desktop won't stay powered up!

Post by Gothboy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:49 am

Novation Nova won't stay on. I got it used about 12 years ago fully functional and used it on a number of songs programmed a bunch of patches too great synth. A few years later however it would just shut itself off and I'd have to power it on to continue working with it. Annoying! I took it to a very reputable electronics repair shop(can't recall the name....i think they are no longer around) in Lawrence, Ma. and they worked on it.....they soldered something......can't remember exactly what they did and fixed it....for a time...and then now it won't even turn on...or stay on for more than a second or two. I opened it up and looked it over.....no solder work that I can see looks good in there....The power supply is original KA-60A +5V 2.0A/+12 0.36A could be the on/off switch maybe power supply I don't know. Will probably take it to some place here in LA. Anyone have an idea or two as to what the issue might be?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Nova desktop won't stay powered up!

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:24 am

It's almost certain that it's either the external supply or the internal power circuit. I doubt it's the power switch. Does wiggling the power cord and plug have any effect?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:22 pm

If your'e lucky, the pins need cleaning.

If you're not that lucky, you're still in luck! Can you solder? The replacement is cheap: you can hack something else, or buy it from an electronics supplier and changing one pin connection. If you can't, your local computer/ phone shop could take care of this for you.
More info in this thread. Read it all before deciding on a solution!
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... upply.html

Gothboy
Gear: NordLead 2, Mopho x4, Modal Argon8m, Roland System 1, Nord Micro, Novation Nova, Roland D-05, Korg Radias Yamaha A-3000 sampler

Post by Gothboy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:46 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:24 am
Does wiggling the power cord and plug have any effect?
No I've tried wiggling the power cord and putting it in various positions without result.

Gothboy

Post by Gothboy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:21 pm

madtheory wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:22 pm
If your'e lucky, the pins need cleaning.
Cleaned the power in pins the LCD goes dark after a minute or two but the panel buttons stay lit.