Multitracker - cassettes

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
JonTindale

Multitracker - cassettes

Post by JonTindale » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:40 pm

Hi

My uncle has a multitracker - Fostex X-26 but we're not sure which cassettes we should use, choice being limited now and the manual very specific (Type 2, chrome, 70usec EQ id). Any advice?

Thanks
Jon

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Multitracker - cassettes

Post by Z » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:04 pm

I've always used Type II (Chrome) for all my cassette recordings (multi-track or regular 2 track)
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Multitracker - cassettes

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:36 am

All cassette multitracks were designed for type II/chrome tapes. Using type I tapes will result in a severe loss of high frequencies and weird freq response over all becasue the noise reduction (Dolby or dbx) is not calibrated for type I. The original type 2 tapes were chromium dioxide (called "chrome") but later formulations like TDK's SA and Maxell's XL-II were also type 2. Maxell also made XL-I, which are type I. There were many other tape mfrs back then...3M/Scotch, Sony, BASF the most common in the US.

Unfortunately, there are only one or two companies still making blank cassettes. This vendor in Canada claims to still sell custom wound Maxell XL-II C-60 tapes for just over $6 each. There are minimum quantities you have to buy. I'd check with them and buy as many as you can afford, they get cheaper the more you buy, Maxell no longer makes this tape, so who knows how long this vendor will be able to supply.

Make sure you really want to use tape...you can buy digital multitrackers from Tascam and Boss as low as $149. The cost of tapes will build up quickly, storage for digital machines is only limited by how much hard drive space you have on your computer to back up the memory cards.

Good luck!
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.