Roland D50

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Lhill1150

Roland D50

Post by Lhill1150 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:29 am

I am looking for someone to teach me how to work with my D50..I am not synth savvy nor do I have much musical training or any professional experience. I fell in love with this keyboard when it came to my home in 1987 via now ex husband. I have been pining for one of my own ever since, and now that I have it I am only smart enough to figure out a tiny bit of what i know it can do. The manual is a series of freaking diagrams and lines and I am looking for "push this button to this setting to get this" kinda stuff..I cant even figure out how to split the keyboard. I am willing to pay of course and remote is ok. I am always looking for stuff online to read too..if anyone knows where to find info on basic operations...thanks

keysfreak
Gear: Nord 6D 73
Roland D05
Kawai ES100
Waldorf Blofeld
Yamaha MODX6, MOX6, MU80
Hammond E311 & Leslie 147

Re: Roland D50

Post by keysfreak » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:42 pm

Roland (and Boss) manuals of that era were obviously written by engineers who’s first language was not English and made for some notoriously dry reading! The D50 sound design architecture isn’t really that complicated, it’s basically 4 digital sound sources shaped by the standard array of filters, envelope generators, LFO and effects, however, trying to create or manipulate sounds from it’s two-line alphanumeric LCD screen is reserved for masochists :lol:

What you need to do is download and install the D50 Librarian Editor software, as it really opens up the settings in a nice graphical view.

Sound design does require knowledge of the basic synthesiser building blocks. The best teachers I had was owning a Korg MS20 and Poly 800 in the 80’s.

;) Good luck in your sound design journey!!