Korg Poly 800 sequencer and Yamaha

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
dirk turpid

Korg Poly 800 sequencer and Yamaha

Post by dirk turpid » Sun May 02, 2021 5:30 pm

(Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question but I am very new to this stuff....)

I have a Korg Poly 800 and a Yamaha CS1x. I love the sounds on the Yahama and and playing with the inbuilt sequencer on the Korg.

Is there a simple way of running sequences on the Korg to "control" the Yamaha (i.e. play sequences on the Korg and outputting the Yamaha's sound tones)? I know I can record tunes separately on the Yamaha and create sequences/patterns/whatever using a software sequencer (I am using MixPad at the moment) but this involves extra steps, and I am wondering if it's possible to play Yamaha sounds using the Korg's sequencer? (The Yamaha has no inbuilt sequencer, BTW.)

I have played around with various cable combinations between the two using the Yamaha "in line" between Korg and recording s/w, i.e. with Korg connected to Yamaha and Yamaha connected to laptop, but the best I can get is that the Korg sounds (not the Yamaha's) come out on the computer.

I hope I have explained this OK. Again, sorry if this is a daft question, but I had to ask..... :-)

Thanks.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Korg Poly 800 sequencer and Yamaha

Post by meatballfulton » Sun May 02, 2021 8:35 pm

Here's the secret sauce:

1. Korg MIDI OUT to Yamaha MIDI IN

2. Set Yamaha to MIDI channel 2!!!

3. Hit play on the Korg

The Poly 800 sends the keyboard and joystick data on MIDI channel 1, but sends the sequencer data on channel 2.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.