Vintage Korg MS-20 VCO-2 Pitch Control Not Working

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
BeeMee84

Vintage Korg MS-20 VCO-2 Pitch Control Not Working

Post by BeeMee84 » Mon May 24, 2021 12:59 am

I have a vintage Korg MS-20 that was languishing in storage for many years. I recently fired it up, and everything seemed to working except *every* single knob was dirty and made a ton of noise. I meticulously opened it up and spent a day inside cleaning all the pots, keyboard contacts, etc.

When I put it back together and tested it, it initially sounded great. (I started testing it with sounds only using VCO-1.) When I turned VCO-2 up in the Mixer section, it sounded good, but slightly out tune, so I tried to adjust it with the Pitch knob. It didn't change the tuning at all, but when the knob got to around +4, there was a burst of crackling, and then all sound went dead (including VCO-1). By turning off the MS-20, and back on, sound returned as normal. But the Pitch knob on VCO-2 still doesn't work, and causes the whole synth to 'die' at +4, until I power off/on again.

My guess is that there must be a short in the Pitch pot, and I should attempt to replace it.

But in case there are any other analog repair wizards out there that can offer any different troubleshooting advice, I thought I'd give it a try. Would a multimeter help test a particular pot? And, if a pot replacement is in order, any recommendations where to get replacement parts?

Also of note: there some seems to be some 'intermittency' between the A2 and A#2 keys. Sometimes one plays, and the other doesn't. Sometime they both play. My guess is a problem with the contacts, which I can take another look at, but there is also a board of resistors that runs the length of the back of the keyboard assembly. Any advice for things I could look for beyond the obvious (ie, bent contacts)?

Thanks!
Brett

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Re: Vintage Korg MS-20 VCO-2 Pitch Control Not Working

Post by Yekuku » Mon May 24, 2021 5:54 pm

Hi Brett and welcome to the forum.
It sounds like a faulty potentiometer, it could be dirty so it is advised to clean it properly and re-check.
The pot is 100KOhm (VR2) , you can use a multimeter to measure its resistance or you can read the voltage on the wiper (middle pin) it should vary from 15V to -15V depending on the pots position.
VCO 2 Pitch trimmer (VR6) can also trigger such a behaviour.
About the keys problem it sounds like dirty / oxidised contacts, a good clean with WD40 on the contacts, hopefully it will bring the operation back to normal.
It is all about sharing...

liveinabin
Gear: Korg MS-20, MS-50, SQ-1, ZX-81

Re: Vintage Korg MS-20 VCO-2 Pitch Control Not Working

Post by liveinabin » Mon May 24, 2021 9:35 pm

Please let us know how this goes. I'm taking delivery of a very dirty MS-20 soon so I'll be following this closely :)