The Yamaha AN* File Conversion Problem

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
sepiakeys
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Hardware Synthesizers and Guitar Effects
Band: There will be Lions

The Yamaha AN* File Conversion Problem

Post by sepiakeys » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:21 pm

Hello there

I have been using a Yamaha AN200 for quite some time and was thinking of taking out its built in PLG150-AN Board and stick it into the free slot of my CS6x, so I have a thing less to carry around for gigs.

I was using the AN200 software editor and did all the backups of my patches with it. I will have to use the PLG150-AN editor in furure (which is almost identical, I can even use it to edit my AN200, but I could not find a way to import data to store the user bank).

The problem is, that the file format of the patches I stored with the AN200-editor is not compatible with the one of the PLG-editor! As far as I can see Yamaha has three different formats for their AN Files (one for the AN1X, one for the PLG150-AN and one for the AN200). Both editors are capable of reading the AN1X format, bot not the one from the other software editor. So I have to find a way of converting my backups into a format, the PLG-editor can read.

Is there any way I can do this??

Thanks to anyone for helping me out with this one!
Good programming is worth more than the most expensive synthesizer.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:25 am

Can you not throw them up onto your AN board using one editor and restore them back using the other instead of just trying to import the files directly on the software side?
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:40 pm

May be convert the AN200 to the AN1x file, then convert the AN1x file to the PLG150-AN file.

Wish I can translate this, but this explain clearly about the compatibility:
http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha_eur ... 06_system/
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

LWG

Re: Post Subject

Post by LWG » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:57 am

Hello,

The AN200 editor probably saves in it's own format, so to bypass this, you'd save your patches from the 200 as a sysex file.
You could dump the AN200 as a sysex file in MIDI-OX, then swap the AN card into the CS6. Once done, if you can use MIDI-OX to load the sysex file to the CS6x, you're almost done.
Once the patches are loaded into the CS6, you can save them to the Yamaha Expert editor (.ANS) and/or save them in the Gregson AN1 Edit (.anp)

Regards,

Lawrence

Roter_Flieger

Post by Roter_Flieger » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:46 pm

crystalmsc wrote:May be convert the AN200 to the AN1x file, then convert the AN1x file to the PLG150-AN file.

Wish I can translate this, but this explain clearly about the compatibility:
http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha_eur ... 06_system/
You want a translation? You really want a translation? Ok, here you get your translation. :-)

---> translation start

Question: The CS6x is equipped with the PLG-150AN board. Which other models is this device compatible with (AN-1x, AN-200, ...)

Answer: Compatibility to AN1x and AN200 is slightly limited

The plug-in board PLG150-AN is not fully compatible with the AN1x. However, it is possible to receive single patches or even complete soundbanks from the AN1x with the PLG150-AN. This can be achieved using a direct dump from the AN1x or by using a bulk dump (e.g. as MIDI-file) via an external sequencer. The appropriate conversion will be applied automatically. AN1x soundbanks are usable with the PLG150-AN, however, the following restrictions apply:

All effects have to be reentered into the device (Edit „Common“).
As with layer sounds, "Scene 2" of the AN1x voice will be missing.
However, most of the AN1x voices will sound very well with the PLG150-AN.

Alternatively, the AN1x voices may also be received with the AN-Expert Editor (supplied with PLG150-AN), edited herein and finally send to the PLG150-AN. The AN1x voices can be found in bank 036/002 (user) of the CS6x.

AN200 and PLG150-AN are compatible with serious limitations. With the AN200-editor, it is possible to load soundfiles using the format of the AN200 expert editor (PLG150-AN) or of the AN1x editor, to alter them to your needs and to send them to the AN200. The AN200 is equipped with an additional AWM-unit, effects and four sequencer tracks. Thus, for the PLG150-AN, AN200 voices are only suitable to a limited extend. However, voices that are sent from the AN200-editor will be received by the PLG150-AN.

---> translation end

Well, I hope this helped a little and I also hope that my translation skills are a lot better that those of babelfish. :D

Tidda

Post by Tidda » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:04 am

Roter_Flieger wrote:Well, I hope this helped a little and I also hope that my translation skills are a lot better that those of babelfish. :D
That's a perfect translation Flieger, why not send it to Yamaha to have it included in the English version of their website!
I'm surprised they didn't include it themselves. For some reason the FAQ section is missing there. I guess I'll have to check their German site as well from now on!
... voices that are sent from the AN200-editor will be received by the PLG150-AN.
So what it all boils down to is, send the patches with the AN200 editor to the PLG board, then download them from the board with the PLG150-AN editor and save them on your computer. Einfach! :lol: