Yazoo (Yaz) synthesizers...

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
MonoEvolver

Yazoo (Yaz) synthesizers...

Post by MonoEvolver » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:36 pm

Hi all,

I have a question that I have been trying to find the answer to for some time now and I wondered if anyone out there can help.

I have always been a big fan of Yazoo (Yaz over there in the US), but have always heard conflicting stories of how the first album was recorded and what was used. The only thing I know for sure are four of the items used:

Sequential Circuits Pro-One
Roland Jupiter-4
Roland TR-808
Roland MC-4B

But, what I'm trying to find the answer to is, was the much loved ARP2600 that Vince used a lot on the first Depeche Mode album also on there too (some of the Yazoo drum sounds are very much like those on Speak & Spell, the more synthetic ones which are not coming from the 808) along with the possibility of a Synton Syrinx, RSF Kobol and Roland System-100M.

Many thanks for any infor anyone can give me.
MonoEvolver

drawtippy
Band: Draw Tippy

Post by drawtippy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:10 pm

Well he's got an sh 101 in these, of course that doesn't mean he used it in the studio:

MonoEvolver

Post by MonoEvolver » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:43 am

Thanks.

As far as I know, the SH-101 is not something he ever used in the studio. I know he had an SH-1 at the time (left over from his Depeche days, but again I don't know if he used it in recording the first Yazoo album) and later, got an SH-09, but this wasn't until he was actually in Erasure.
MonoEvolver

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:02 am

ive got an old british mag that i think says the pro-one and jupiter-4 were the only synths on upstairs at erics. he added a fairlight for the 2nd album. i think the 2600 was daniel millers. i suspect millers responsible for a lot of the sounds on early dm albums
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

MonoEvolver

Post by MonoEvolver » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:42 am

Thanks! :D

I'd very much like to see that magazine!

It does seem that the Pro-One dominates the first album (I've even found a scan of a magazine that Yazoo were in that gives Pro-One patch charts for the sounds that were used on "Only You", as well as finding a picture of him and Alison Moyet with a Pro-One, Jupiter-4 and TR-808, so I think that pretty much confirms it).

I bought a Mono Evolver Keyboard by Dave Smith Instruments the other week from Turnkey in London and really have to say that it truly captures the sound of the original Pro-One, due to the fact that it uses Curtis chips (like the Rev 3 Prophet-5's), and goes far beyond it too. Truly amazing sound and great for anyone like myself who wants an up-to-date Pro-One.
MonoEvolver

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:24 pm

theres a yaz web page that has tons of yaz articles, it may even be up there. who knows how long it will be before i can find the mag i mentioned! (sorry!)
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

drawtippy
Band: Draw Tippy

Post by drawtippy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:43 pm

MonoE,

I love my Pro-One and have a copy of that Yaz patch stapled to my instruction manual. In fact I love it so much I put it on the cover of my CD. Check out drawtippy.net or just google Draw Tippy and you will see it. Go to iTunes and listen to my track "Oscillate"... it's all Pro One. The MEK looks great and maybe someday I'll pick one up.

MonoEvolver

Post by MonoEvolver » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:50 pm

Draw Trippy - that's one cool site!

I first used a Pro-One about 19 years ago (back in mid 1987) and truly loved it. I got my own back in 1991 (which I found in a repair shop above a music store), and was very happy with it, but in later years (like a lot of people) made the mistake of selling it and replacing it with digital. I've always kicked myself for that and now, having the Mono Evolver Keyboard, I truly feel I got a part of it back (it being designed by the same guy who made the original Pro-One and having the same Curtis chips inside of it).

There are some very interesting interviews with Dave that everyone here might like to take a look at, as he talks at length about his Sequential days and you get to see how the new Evolvers are made:

Part-1
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ynth&hl=en

Part-2

Part-3

Enjoy!
MonoEvolver

Toris

Post by Toris » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:06 pm

I never knew Yazoo were called 'Yaz' over there? Why? does 'Yazoo' have another meaning over there?

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:19 pm

I've always wondered about that myself. It doesn't mean anything that I know of. There isnt another Yazoo here either because they probably wouldve just tacked on the "UK" at the end if that was the case.

MonoEvolver

Post by MonoEvolver » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:48 pm

I can help answer that.

Here in the UK, they were called Yazoo but in the US they were called Yaz because there was already another band there called Yazoo, so rather than being called Yazoo UK (as was suggested to them by the US division of MUTE Records), they decided to shorten the name from Yazoo to Yaz.

Hope that helps clear things up!
MonoEvolver

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:38 pm

Not to be confused with 80s cheese-fest "Yazz and the Plastic Population". The only way is up, is it? So what happened there?

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Yazoo (Yaz) synthesizers...

Post by Micke » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:26 pm

MonoEvolver wrote:Hi all,

But, what I'm trying to find the answer to is, was the much loved ARP2600 that Vince used a lot on the first Depeche Mode album also on there too (some of the Yazoo drum sounds are very much like those on Speak & Spell, the more synthetic ones which are not coming from the 808) along with the possibility of a Synton Syrinx, RSF Kobol and Roland System-100M.

Yes, Daniel Miller's Arp 2600 provided some of the kick, snare and hi-hat sounds on this album too. I also remember to have read somewhere that in a few of the songs, Vince used his Pro-One for snares and hi-hats.

To conclude; the drum sounds on Upstairs at Erics were done with the Arp 2600, Pro-one and TR-808.

Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

seanwolcott

Post by seanwolcott » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:04 am

Good reads...

Oh, and as for the YAZ is the U.S. vs. YAZOO, it is not because of a band but because of an old blues label actually... Apparently Allison got the name from the old blues label, at least thats what WIKI says.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazoo_Records

Speaking of Yazoo, here is a cool little tutorial on nailing the Yaz "Situtation" keyboard rif sound...
http://www.keyboardmag.com/story.asp?se ... code=15689

Cheers!
-Sean

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, μWave (x2), Roland JP6+V-Synth+S-220, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3+K-3m, ARP Odyssey+Omni2, Emulator II+HD, Ensoniq Mirage.

Re: Yazoo (Yaz) synthesizers...

Post by calyx93 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:49 am

Micke wrote:
MonoEvolver wrote:Hi all,

Yes, Daniel Miller's Arp 2600 provided some of the kick, snare and hi-hat sounds on this album too. I also remember to have read somewhere that in a few of the songs, Vince used his Pro-One for snares and hi-hats.

To conclude; the drum sounds on Upstairs at Erics were done with the Arp 2600, Pro-one and TR-808.

Micke
Don't forget the unmistakable Linn LM-1 on "Bring Your Love Down (Didn't I)" :)
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud