Kawai K1 keyboard : Dead Keys

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
mindlayer

Kawai K1 keyboard : Dead Keys

Post by mindlayer » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:59 am

I have a Kawai K1 II that works okay, save for the dead keys. Is there a procedure for fixing them that might be available? They are not completely dead, but it takes a lot to get them to sound. I have about 4 keys on the keyboard that are doing this.

Alternately, I just picked up a K-1, and am wondering will a K1 keyboard work inside the K1 II's board.

Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:09 am

When I bought my Kawai K-1 it had a couple of dead keys too. All I had to do was open her up, take the keybaord apart, clean the contacts with alcahol and put everything back together. I dunno about the K IIs keyboard working in the K-1, I know the two synthesizers are almost identical save for the reverb on the K II. So it might, but wouldn't it be easier just the control the K-1 as a MIDI slave with the K II?
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

mindlayer

Post by mindlayer » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:29 pm

It would be easier to trigger the K1 II off the K1, but I have a small car, and I'd like to have room for my bass gear as well. 8) I think the attempt at cleaning contacts with alcohol sounds like a good start, and now that I have a keyboard that will work if that doesn't, that's probably the best choice.

I mainly use it to trigger soft synths in Sonar.

coolsci

Dead keys--- k1

Post by coolsci » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:14 am

My Matrix-6 was giving me the same problem. However it might not be a serious problem at all. If you are able to get those keys to sound with a midi controller then the problem is dirt in the contact points. Remove the key(s), clean out the dust and grime as much as possible with a dry cloth. Use rubbing alcohol to get the rest (do not saturate). Dry off then give em a squirt with Deoxit D5.