all tube amp for synth recording/live

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Kwote

all tube amp for synth recording/live

Post by Kwote » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:30 pm

sup folks. i'm looking to get an all tube based amp for running a synth out of. main uses will be home recording and live shows where the amp is mic'd up.

i've been searching and it seems that the vast majority of synth and bass amps are solid state.

thanks for the help.

ps: what are the specifics of why bass amps are preferred for synths as opposed to say a good all tube fender guitar amp?

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:29 pm

For a variety of reasons bass amps handle low end much better than guitar amps (usually with little or no sacrifice of high end) and they tend to be designed for somewhat more even frequency response than guitar amps.
Speaking from my own experience, my keyboards sound alright through my bass amp, but they sound atrocious through my (tube) guitar amp--shrill and tinny.

If you've got your heart set on a Fender, I've had a fair amount of experience playing my guitar through an old Bandmaster with an 8x10 cabinet--that had a lot of mids and kind of a muddy lowend which suggests to me it might be able to handle a keyboard's range reasonably well frequency-wise. The thing about a lot of older guitar amps though is that they tend to get very dirty very easily--plugging a line level instrument into a Bandmaster would probably sound like the end of the world. Which might indeed be very cool, but I don't know if I'd want that on a soft string pad.

Any particular reason you prefer tube gear, apart from the obvious cachet?
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:26 am

Big Gnome wrote:For a variety of reasons bass amps handle low end much better than guitar amps (usually with little or no sacrifice of high end) and they tend to be designed for somewhat more even frequency response than guitar amps.
Speaking from my own experience, my keyboards sound alright through my bass amp, but they sound atrocious through my (tube) guitar amp--shrill and tinny.

If you've got your heart set on a Fender, I've had a fair amount of experience playing my guitar through an old Bandmaster with an 8x10 cabinet--that had a lot of mids and kind of a muddy lowend which suggests to me it might be able to handle a keyboard's range reasonably well frequency-wise. The thing about a lot of older guitar amps though is that they tend to get very dirty very easily--plugging a line level instrument into a Bandmaster would probably sound like the end of the world. Which might indeed be very cool, but I don't know if I'd want that on a soft string pad.

Any particular reason you prefer tube gear, apart from the obvious cachet?
naw. the obvious reasons. good ol analog warmth. i'll be running digital gear through the amp and i wanna balance it out with analog.

i'm still ignorant to the amp game though. so any further knowledge is appreciated. i found this today but i'm not sold on it:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KT80/