just got an SH101, can you make it sound like a TB 303?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

just got an SH101, can you make it sound like a TB 303?

Postby Damo303 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:47 pm

I've just got my hands on an SH101 and I've heard its pretty good for programming 303 type acid lines by using the onboard sequencer.

I read that you have to program slides in to get that type of sound, any body know how I do this because there does not seem to be a slide button on the keyboard?

Can anybody share the secret of getting this machine to sound acidic?

:?
Damo303

Postby hageir » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:27 pm

hi!

I was googling around for some stuff to read about on my MC-202 (sequencer addition of the SH-101)
and I found something about getting that acid sound and using the slide thing..

I think it's in this one..
http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufacturers/Roland/MC-202/info/roland.MC-202.txt

also I had this one laying around on my comp:

Acid Bass
LFO VCO Source Mixer
Rate Delay MOD Range PulseW *** Square Saw SubOSC ***
0 0 0 [16'] 0 [LFO] 10 5 0 2
VCF VCA ENV
Freq Res Env Mod Kybd *** A D S R
6 8 6 6-7 0 [gate] 0 2 0 2

hope it helps
and congrats!
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..
hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Postby hageir » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:28 pm

oh that acid bass patch didn't come out well..
if you want I can email it to you in the right form..
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..
hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Postby Visionism » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:57 pm

Code: Select all
TIP: If you post whatever you want formatting in a code tag (theres a button for it on the reply form) it will appear in a fixed width font like this and everything will line up properly.
Visionism

Postby nathanscribe » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:35 pm

stick to saw or square waves, no attack, try setting the decay to around half, no sustain, and a touch of release. Filter has no keyboard tracking, but some envelope follow. cut-off and res to taste :D

But the real trick, just like hageir said/linked to is by using the accent and slide on the 202; they function pretty much as on the 303, with the accent affecting filter and vca.

unfortunately, I don't think you can do this on the 101. It has portamento, but no ability to affect the filter/vca with accent.

that said, you'll be able to do a fair emulation. And it's got its own distinctive flavour, and is more flexible than a 303. More fun too, IMO. Who needs a 303 anyway? Overpriced tat!

8)
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby memo » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:49 pm

1) Set the portamento to "auto", and have the portamento speed relatively low (around 9 o'clock or less).

2) Hit "Load" and start step editing a sequence. When you want a slide, hit "Legato"(Hold) between the two notes that you want to slide. Hit "Play" when you're done and give it a listen.

You might not be able to do accents, but you can fake this by routing the pitchbend to the filter instead of the pitch, and either using the modgrip or its input when you want a quick accent.

I think the SH-101 can do some pretty cool 303-type sequences, and while it doesn't sound exactly the same by any measurement, it does capture some of its flavor.
memo

Postby whiteyhouston » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:44 pm

I have thought about this a bit lately... Would it not be possible to use a sequencer to control the sh101 (along with a cv/midi box like a kenton pro solo). Couldn't a newer stand alone sequencer accurately emulate the slides and accents?
whiteyhouston

Postby nathanscribe » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:51 pm

whiteyhouston wrote:I have thought about this a bit lately... Would it not be possible to use a sequencer to control the sh101 (along with a cv/midi box like a kenton pro solo). Couldn't a newer stand alone sequencer accurately emulate the slides and accents?

Sequencing alone will not produce accents. You need the inputs on the synth to affect both filter and amplifier. The 303 accent also affects cutoff via resonance amount, which I think is unique and partly why it has that character.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby whiteyhouston » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:27 am

yeah... I guess I'm totally specualting here... I know sequencing alone won't produce the accents but a box like the Kenton pro solo has the ability to convert pitch, mod and portamento data to control voltages, so it would seem like it might be possible for a midi file to control the portamento/pitch to impart a 303 ish slide...

I'm talking out my a*s here as I have limited experience with the 101 and I don't own a pro solo or midi/cv converter yet... I'm just thinking aloud that might be possible?? anyone else see what I'm saying???
hmmm..

nathanscribe wrote:
whiteyhouston wrote:I have thought about this a bit lately... Would it not be possible to use a sequencer to control the sh101 (along with a cv/midi box like a kenton pro solo). Couldn't a newer stand alone sequencer accurately emulate the slides and accents?

Sequencing alone will not produce accents. You need the inputs on the synth to affect both filter and amplifier. The 303 accent also affects cutoff via resonance amount, which I think is unique and partly why it has that character.
whiteyhouston

Postby cbjlietuva » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:01 am

as far as I know- though I don't know a lot of the differences between the 101 and the 202- the 202s VCO and VCA aren't controlled directly by the CV and gate (respectively) because they're controlled first by a processor.

does the 101 work the same way? or is everything hooked up the same= a processor to controll the vco and VCA- if not- the portamento should be 'automatic' right? uh... maybe :?

ok... i'm gonna stop now...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...Star Wars on Laserdisc
cbjlietuva

Gear: Roland Juno 6 · Rhodes 73 Suitcase · Fender '63 jBass · Fender Strat+ · Casio SK1

Postby Altitude » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:42 am

does the 101 work the same way?

No. its direct There was no lag on mine with the kenton pro solo. There is a mod for the 202 to bypass the computer and have direct CV control
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby nathanscribe » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:13 am

I use a kenton pro-solo and the instruction book states that the extra aux outputs can be configured to give accent and slide compatibility specifically designed for users of their 303 mod kit: but I assume those outputs can be used anyhow you like. They put out a 5v pulse.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby ford442 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:13 pm

do or do not.. there is no try..

i made myself give up on making the 101 sound like a 303 - it's way better to let it sound like a 101 - the thing really is nicely versatile..

btw - CV/GATE >< MIDI converters are way more common and cheap now i've noticed..
ford442

Band: Noah Cohn

Postby Damo303 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:19 pm

Well its not so much making it sound like a 303. I just want to get some funky acid out of it!
Damo303

Postby ford442 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:45 pm

i haven't picked up my 101 in many months.. but i often think of turning the LFO all the way up (fast) and put it on the MOD mode where it becomes like some kind of hispanic/venga boys/electric organ type thing.. some of you know what i mean right?

i wish i had enough space to have it set up right now.. :-)
ford442

Band: Noah Cohn

Return to HELP!