What is the difference between 2DD and 2HD floppy disks?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
operator
Location: guelph, ontario, eunited states of soviet kanuckistan

What is the difference between 2DD and 2HD floppy disks?

Post by operator » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:46 pm

I just got a Roland S-330 sampler, and the manual says that it uses 2DD floppy disks to save info. So if I want to save my own patches, will I have to use (and find) 2DD disks?

All the disks I have are 2HD... what's is the difference? I have a Roland MC-something-or-other sequencer (which maybe you can guess I haven't used in a while), and I think it is SUPPOSED to use to 2DD disks as well, but I know that I only ever used 2HD disks in it and they always seemed to work fine. Can you even get 2DD disks anymore?

Any thoughts?

John H
Gear: Virus, Monomachine SFX-60, Proteus 2500, JP-8000, MC-300, QS TB-303 Devil Fish, TR-606 / 727 / 808 / 909, TeeBee MKIII, Live 9, Reason 8 + more

Re: What is the difference between 2DD and 2HD floppy disks?

Post by John H » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:04 pm

operator wrote:I just got a Roland S-330 sampler, and the manual says that it uses 2DD floppy disks to save info. So if I want to save my own patches, will I have to use (and find) 2DD disks?

All the disks I have are 2HD... what's is the difference? I have a Roland MC-something-or-other sequencer (which maybe you can guess I haven't used in a while), and I think it is SUPPOSED to use to 2DD disks as well, but I know that I only ever used 2HD disks in it and they always seemed to work fine. Can you even get 2DD disks anymore?

Any thoughts?
HD = High Density
DD = Double Density

I found out this at Wikipedia:

"Within the world of IBM-compatible computers, the three densities of 3½-inch floppy disks are partially compatible. Higher density drives are built to read, write and even format lower density media without problems, provided the correct media is used for the density selected. However, if by whatever means a diskette is formatted at the wrong density, the result is a substantial risk of data loss due to magnetic mismatch between oxide and the drive head's writing attempts. Still, a fresh diskette that has been manufactured for high density use can theoretically be formatted as double density, but only if no information has ever been written on the disk using high density mode (for example, HD diskettes that are pre-formatted at the factory are out of the question). The magnetic strength of a high density record is stronger and will "overrule" the weaker lower density, remaining on the diskette and causing problems. However, in practice there are people who use downformatted (ED to HD, HD to DD) or even overformatted (DD to HD) without apparent problems; see the Floppy trivia section. Doing so always constitutes a data risk, so one should weigh out the benefits (e.g. increased space and/or interoperability) versus the risks (data loss, permanent disk damage)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floppy_disk

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:13 pm

The other difference is the price and availability. DD disks are much more expensive now and most likely you will have to look on ebay or search through the store room of some smaller computer store for them. My advice is that whenever you see a case or two for cheap you should pick up as many as you can.

The Akai S900 also uses the DD disks. I used to use tons of disks for samples and it eventually became easier to give up on the S900 and just buy a S950 instead because it was getting to hard to find DD disks at the rate I needed them. I did keep the S900 just because of the sheer amount of disks I had already recorded for it, but use the S950 for recording new samples.

John H
Gear: Virus, Monomachine SFX-60, Proteus 2500, JP-8000, MC-300, QS TB-303 Devil Fish, TR-606 / 727 / 808 / 909, TeeBee MKIII, Live 9, Reason 8 + more

Post by John H » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:28 pm

KLAXON wrote:The other difference is the price and availability. DD disks are much more expensive now and most likely you will have to look on ebay or search through the store room of some smaller computer store for them. My advice is that whenever you see a case or two for cheap you should pick up as many as you can.

The Akai S900 also uses the DD disks. I used to use tons of disks for samples and it eventually became easier to give up on the S900 and just buy a S950 instead because it was getting to hard to find DD disks at the rate I needed them. I did keep the S900 just because of the sheer amount of disks I had already recorded for it, but use the S950 for recording new samples.
Interesting. Stuff that I suppose most people (including me) usually don't think about when they buy a vintage sampler, I'll try to keep it in mind when I get my first Akai S900/S950 some day :)

operator

Post by operator » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:13 pm

Thanks! That WIKI clip is really helpful...

Also, I'll take the advice that if I see some boxes of DD's kicking around, I'll grab them. In the mean time, I'm going to try my luck with formatting fresh HD's for the S-330. Hope it works!

Cheers

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:19 pm

Yeah, I have an old Mirage that uses DD disks. I still have a box of them sitting around half-filled with samples, but it's not something I'll be doing much sampling on in future. Nice sound, but I don't know how much life is left in the old girl... Already, I see some of my sample disks refusing to load and the display telling me they're corrupted... :(

ill electro

Post by ill electro » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:23 pm

DO NOT waste money old DD disks.... Just use to the tape cover hole trick. read the bottom of this link for more info....

http://www.soundtracker.org/raw/cwfloppy/

operator

Post by operator » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:42 am

that article explains it pretty well... good things to know for sure, thanks!

grahampreston

Post by grahampreston » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:42 am

if your in the UK, check out this listing

400 x DD for £42 plus postage also does packs of 100 for under £14

Graham

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=013
Current Gear Hammond M102 and Technics GN9 organ. Not a synth in sight at the moment!