going over to the UK.. synth AC question..??

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
whiteyhouston

going over to the UK.. synth AC question..??

Post by whiteyhouston » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:20 am

so... I'm going over to London to play some shows but I'm not entirely sure what the deal is power-wise in Europe... (This is my first time to europe or anywhere outside of Can/Usa so I aplogize if this is common knowledge)..
anyway, I'm bringing some synths that run 120v, I'm assuming I need a converter... I've asked a few people and gotten some conflicting answers..

burnt toast

Post by burnt toast » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:25 am

220v - 240v. some things say 220, some say 240. a few things even say 230. just get a erm. step down converter for your kit. that will kick out 110 for you.

when/where is it?

whiteyhouston

Post by whiteyhouston » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:04 am

burnt toast wrote:220v - 240v. some things say 220, some say 240. a few things even say 230. just get a erm. step down converter for your kit. that will kick out 110 for you.

when/where is it?
yes, that makes sense to me... I just want to make sure I'm not going to fry my synths...
so.. I should be able to plug my powerbar into the stepdown converter and be fine.. I've/we've got a shitload of 120v wall warts and what not so I just want to take care of that chit in advance..

show is at Barfly? I believe on the 19th or 20th of January... not quite sure of the exact routing yet..

pm me back in the new year if your in london and can make it and I'll put you on the list..
band is called Shout Out Out Out Out
myspace.com/shoutoutoutoutout

burnt toast

Post by burnt toast » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:20 am

yeah that would probably work ok. but if you have stuff that uses wall warts then you can just buy another adaptor over here to kick out 12v whatever, wont damage your gear. i would use a mix of the two. take the power strip with the converter for some stuff and buy a few multi-adaptors just to cover yourself in case you run out of plug sockets or something - cables get messy when people start stealing your plug sockets!

"oh ill just plug this in here and leave the cable trailing across the floor... its not like anyones going to trip over it..."

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:36 am

Might sound obvious, but make sure any step-down you get can supply enough power for your kit. They come in different Amp ratings.

Anaki_Muon

Post by Anaki_Muon » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:12 am

From Kropla.com's World Electric Guide:

United Kingdom:
230 V* / 50 Hz
*Outlets typically controlled by adjacent switch. Though nominal voltage has been officially changed to 230 V, 240 V is within tolerances and commonly found.

Plug-shape: "G"-type
Korg MS20 & Wavestation A/D, Roland Juno 60 & Juno 106 & MKS50 & D110 & MC202, Ensoniq EPS, Yamaha FB01, SP07b, Casio CZ5000 & SK1, Alesis Micron, Cakewalk Z3ta+, Propellerhead Reason, Garriton Personal Orchestra

Tek

Post by Tek » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:48 pm

Thats 230 volts + 10% to - 6% but most converters work. The 60 to 50 Hz may be a problem but my USA rated XV3080 works fine with a £10 transformer.
Why not give the Synth help lines a ring?
Reason 6.5 and a bit of hardware.

whiteyhouston

Post by whiteyhouston » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:52 pm

Tek wrote:Thats 230 volts + 10% to - 6% but most converters work. The 60 to 50 Hz may be a problem but my USA rated XV3080 works fine with a £10 transformer.
Why not give the Synth help lines a ring?
what is the synth help line?

spbaker

Synth Help Line

Post by spbaker » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:39 pm

this is quoted from their site:
The SHL (Synth Help Line) is an international not-for-profit help centre for the synth user be it casual user or lifetime addicts. We can help with advice and support for anything synth related including
-international power issues, we can provide power conditioners to care for your synth and help you make its transition from one continent to another as painless as possible
-GAS, or Gear Aquisition Syndrone is one of our specialtys, if you are $150 short for that lusted after vintage synth we can help!
-GAOGAS or Girlfriend anger over GAS (see above) we can provide special comfortable secluded holdings for your wife or girlfriend (or boyfriend) while we help you work out your GAS

These are just a few of our services, ring for further information or if you need synth assistance!

555-3456

http://synthhelpline.org

hope this helps :lol:
euro-rack modular korg 770 dsi pro2
things to watch & listen to: http://abreojos.net

whiteyhouston

Re: Synth Help Line

Post by whiteyhouston » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:46 pm

spbaker wrote:this is quoted from their site:
The SHL (Synth Help Line) is an international not-for-profit help centre for the synth user be it casual user or lifetime addicts. We can help with advice and support for anything synth related including
-international power issues, we can provide power conditioners to care for your synth and help you make its transition from one continent to another as painless as possible
-GAS, or Gear Aquisition Syndrone is one of our specialtys, if you are $150 short for that lusted after vintage synth we can help!
-GAOGAS or Girlfriend anger over GAS (see above) we can provide special comfortable secluded holdings for your wife or girlfriend (or boyfriend) while we help you work out your GAS

These are just a few of our services, ring for further information or if you need synth assistance!

555-3456

http://synthhelpline.org

hope this helps :lol:
:D .. I totally walked into that one

spbaker

Re: Synth Help Line

Post by spbaker » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:09 am

whiteyhouston wrote::D .. I totally walked into that one
LOL i just saw an opportunity to use a 555 number- :D
euro-rack modular korg 770 dsi pro2
things to watch & listen to: http://abreojos.net

Tek