Vintage Computers

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
vanitypolice
Gear: XTk, Model D, Cat, MicroKorg, Voyager RME, RE-201, Logic 8, Waldorf Edition, Komplete Synths, Sylenth1, Ultra Analog VA-1, Ozone 4, red Gibson SG.
Band: Dangerous Muse

Vintage Computers

Post by vanitypolice » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:18 am

Hi,
so while i'm not exactly interested in going back to 80s comp hardware, I'm thinking of getting an older (apple) computer capable of running OS9 so that I can run turbosynth and other dinosaur programs. I can't use my macbook pro b/c that doesn't run in classic mode.

Does anyone know what I could/should use? Any restrictions on which soundcard i use? Any other older software worth looking into?

I'm also not opposed to getting an 80s (or non-apple) computer also if we think that would be more worthwhile.

thanks,
tom
I have found that when it comes to gear, believe the hype.

radek tymecki

Post by radek tymecki » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:58 am

Atari ST man :D

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12, Model D;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:50 am

And Amiga, don't forget Amiga

VCO
Gear: Yamaha CS-15, Roland JD-800, Doepfer A-100 modular, various Novation stuff.

Post by VCO » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:53 am

I have 3 Amiga 500's lying around, they're c**p :D

Helix

Post by Helix » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:06 pm

Mac OS9 is from 99, not really what i'd call 80s.
You could use a Commodore 64 with MIDI extensions.
BTW Amiga kicks a*s.

mwbassguy
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mwbassguy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:30 pm

the first series of power mac G4s were the last to come installed with OS9 by default, and all the G4s can run some version of OS9. as for laptops, the first few revs of the G4 can run in 9 but the last one cannot.
an avatar and a sig make one's posts more easily recognizable.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:16 pm

Just do a Vince and get a BBC B with UMI sequencer. 8)

SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:31 pm

You should look around for an emulator that runs on your MacBook.

Failing that, go find some of this older hardware. But don't kid yourself that it's vintage. Vintage is more like PDP-11s, Nova 2s, Symbolics Lisp Machines, etc. I used to be really heavy into collecting those kinds of computers but got out of it when I realized it was pointless.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:32 pm

ST all the way.

I dont think anything to this day has tighter midi

vanitypolice
Gear: XTk, Model D, Cat, MicroKorg, Voyager RME, RE-201, Logic 8, Waldorf Edition, Komplete Synths, Sylenth1, Ultra Analog VA-1, Ozone 4, red Gibson SG.

Post by vanitypolice » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:01 pm

i was saying that i i wanted a an older computer but NOT one from the 80s.

vanitypolice

Post by vanitypolice » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:06 pm

mwbassguy wrote:the first series of power mac G4s were the last to come installed with OS9 by default, and all the G4s can run some version of OS9. as for laptops, the first few revs of the G4 can run in 9 but the last one cannot.
so the powermac G4 is the way to go for OS9? How much should I reasonably pay for that? A bunch of pple say to go with an ST but I'm perfectly content using the Intel core to run logic. Anyone think I actually should switch?

And is there any other good software for OS9 and what might I run on an atari ST?

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12, Model D;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:21 pm

vanitypolice wrote:i was saying that i i wanted a an older computer but NOT one from the 80s.
See a vintage, by definition is officially "end of life" and "end of support" product. PowerMacs don't really bear that definition.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:26 pm

I use a G3 266 to talk to my ESI4000 via SCSI. I run Turbo synth, Alchemy, Bias Peak and Antares Infinity. All pricey back in its day, and still useful to me. There are some cool free apps like SoundHack (also in OSX) Sound Effects 0.9.2 SonicWorx and Thonk. I also use it to run Sound Diver and the Nord Modular editor. There are beta versions of those for OSX, but they're not as stable as they are under OS9. The G3 is networked to my mac mini via an ethernet crossover cable. I don't really understand Apple Talk, but it's easy to get it working.

So to me, what you're proposing is perfectly valid. You should be able to get a decent machine for less than €200 including the monitor and a decent amount of RAM. Go for 712Mb/ 1Gig of poss.

:||CHAMBER||:
No Longer Registered

Post by :||CHAMBER||: » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:20 pm

i'm still using my "old" Mac. i've got the G4 with dual 450's.
still runs great.
i actually really need a new computer (like a MacBook) so i can just revert this one to OS9 for the same reasons (Digital Performer and my MOTU interfaces, Bias Software, Metasynth, etc...) i've got a ton of great software but, running things in Classic Mode isn't the greatest and rebooting into OS9 every time is a real pain.

i don't know if everyone here has trouble with reading comprehension, but i've no idea why people keep suggesting Atari ST's... you didn't say anything about wanting to do MIDI sequencing and that's all those are capable of doing.

the Nord Modular Editor is the prime reason i'd like to do with as well. that beta version for OSX isn't very stable at all. i haven't programmed my Nord Modular is a very long time (i've almost been thinking of selling it because of this) oh if only my ex-girlfriend didn't accidently kill my PowerBook....

Anaki_Muon

Granville Island Brewery: Lions Winter Ale = Good stuff!

Post by Anaki_Muon » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:37 pm

radek tymecki wrote:Atari ST man :D
The Atari ST has a dedicated chip for MIDI timing, making it the most rock-solid in MIDI timing available!
Korg MS20 & Wavestation A/D, Roland Juno 60 & Juno 106 & MKS50 & D110 & MC202, Ensoniq EPS, Yamaha FB01, SP07b, Casio CZ5000 & SK1, Alesis Micron, Cakewalk Z3ta+, Propellerhead Reason, Garriton Personal Orchestra