funk/dub/reggae synth

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
sandmish

funk/dub/reggae synth

Post by sandmish » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:54 pm

I'm fairly new to the world of synths and am having a rather hard time finding the one for me.
I plan to buy a polyphonic synth into which I can plug a roland organ module for a dub/reggae hammond organ sound for live performance with a rocky funk reggae band. I also plan to use it to make studio dub/dubstep tunes to be recorded so somekind of bass synth sound , or lots, would be required. There are lots of sounds on the module so I assume I don't need to many on the synth itself. I'm not sure exactly what I need to be able to plug a module in and through, whther it needs to be analog/digital, I guess the latter. and what kind of connections/wires. Any help wouyld be much appreciated.
thanks

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:40 pm

Have a read of www.tweakheadz.com for the lowdown on what connections you might need and how midi works.

artfulideas

Post by artfulideas » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:42 pm

Ive heard alot of moogs on reggae tunes, but alot of 70s synths would work. The fatman synth is pretty good for that too and are fairly cheap.
Drum machines: Machinedrum UW mk II, modded TR-606, TR-707 & TR-727 (both circuit bent), ER-1 mkII
Synths: MFB Synth II, MicroKorg, modded Fatman, Mini theremin

RedSky
No Longer Registered

Post by RedSky » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:11 pm

artfulideas wrote:Ive heard alot of moogs on reggae tunes, but alot of 70s synths would work. The fatman synth is pretty good for that too and are fairly cheap.
I'm fairly sure the legendary Wailers' keyboard player used a Yamaha CS60. I suppose anything with a bit of warm analogue depth would suit Reggae.