HELP! Battery Replacement in an Alpha Juno.

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Yeti

HELP! Battery Replacement in an Alpha Juno.

Post by Yeti » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:35 am

My alpha Juno is asking me to "check battery!" when it powers on. Might I ask if anyone here has done this before or knows of a link to somewhere that shows how to do it? And also, what kind of battery do I need? I have looked online but can't find any info yet.
We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams....

Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno-1, Microkorg, Boss DR-110, Yamaha RX5, Korg ER1, Casio MT70, MT68, EP30,SK1, Alesis HR16, Akai S1000, Reason, Guitars, Basses, Mandolin

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Post by Maschinengeist » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:32 am

What you need is 3V, lithium battery, coin type with soldering pins, 23mm. 165mAh minimum, up to 255mAh.

Digi-key and Mouser got them.

If you want me, I'll try tomorrow to write a tutorial with pictures and will upload to the website. But it's not that hard: you desolder and resolder the new one in the same polarity position and you're done. Save your patches first.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"

Yeti

Post by Yeti » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:35 am

thanks a ton machinegeist, you're the best. So, I suppose my next question is, how much will one of these suckers cost and will I, as a completely inexperienced solderer, be able to do it safely? I suppose I will also need to know where I can get a basic soldering kit in addition to the battery.

Synth-repair is a whole new world for me.

Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno-1, Microkorg, Boss DR-110, Yamaha RX5, Korg ER1, Casio MT70, MT68, EP30,SK1, Alesis HR16, Akai S1000, Reason, Guitars, Basses, Mandolin

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff

Post by Maschinengeist » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:46 am

Too bad that I'm out-of-stock. I had complete starter kits at a damn good price.

First: check the polarity of the cell. One led is Negative, the other Positive. If the manufacturers have not change their method, the leg from the top of the cell is +; underneath -. On the board, you'll notice a small + printed. You guess that the + of the cell goes there.

Solder: use ONLY 60/40 (or 70/30) Rosin core solder. Do not use anything else under any consideration. No "all purpose" or else. They are no meant for electronics and will cause corrosion.

Soldering Iron: Use a 30W. No soldering gun or any higher wattage soldering iron. They are too hot and might more likely than no cause damage to parts exposed to the heat. And lower wattage is ridicule to work with.

You can buy all that from your local Radio Shack
MuzikElektronix.com
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Sorry, they aren't free

Yeti

Post by Yeti » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:09 am

seriously machinegeist, you are a lifesaver. I am gonna get a solder kit from Radioshack. I am not sure what rosin it comes with, so I will just buy the other kind for good measure. I am nervous to do this, but I feel I need to.

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff

Post by Maschinengeist » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:45 am

For soldering:

Wait a few minutes for the tip to get hot and then test the temperature with a bit of solder. If it melt like butter, then you're ready. Let some solder melt all around the tip (it's cleans it for impurties). Then wipe the tip on a moist sponge to take off all the solder.

Apply the tip against the base of the lef of the battery and wait a few seconds for heat transfer. Poke the leg on the other side with the solder. When it start to melt, act quickly with the solder. Draw a quick circle around the leg and take away the iron. Too much heat is not good. And apply the minimum of solder. When it starts to crawl up the leg, that's enough. The point is just to cover the leg not to do a solder sculpture.

I never had time to write a tutorial with pictures but google up "How to solder". You should find some pictures somewhere. If not, let me know.

Oh and what generaly comes with soldering kits are All-Purpose solder. Throw it at your little sister.
MuzikElektronix.com
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Sorry, they aren't free

dougt
No Longer Registered

Post by dougt » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:08 am

If you've never soldered before I wouldn't start with your synth. Try removing and installing some resistors or caps on some piece of junk like an old radio that you don't mind if you mess up...

Yeti

Post by Yeti » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:37 am

I've decided to get it repaired by a professional. They want to charge me $60 for the repair. Do you think this is too much? And if you do, do you know of a place(I am in chicago) I could take it to that will give me a good deal? I really love this synth, and I don't want to destroy it with amateur soldering.

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff

Post by Maschinengeist » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:10 am

Personally I think it's too much for such a job but I am no reference: their price is theirs and mine's mine.

Have you had a look at the Synth Tech thread in General Synthesizers (stickies)? I don't know though how much in Chicago are listed there.
MuzikElektronix.com
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Sorry, they aren't free

Yeti

Post by Yeti » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:41 am

yeah, I thought it was a little high, considering it will probably take 10 minutes, and requires a $0.50 component. Maybe I can talk them down if I explain that I know what it entails.

dougt
No Longer Registered

Post by dougt » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:57 am

Actually $60 doesn't seem that bad. Most shops have a minimum charge. I mean places like Best Buy charge $100 to install a hard drive and there's not even any soldering involved...

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff

Post by Maschinengeist » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:57 am

Dougt beat me to it.

You can but I sincerly think it won't change their mind. Repair shops generally charge 1 hour minimum, no matter if it takes 10 minutes or a full hour. Usually, they have a large markup on the parts and components installed. So the end price is more than often pricey. But that's standard procedures. And the bare minimum I've seen so far is $50 USD/Hour. So I'm rather working for Pesos at $35 CND/Hour. But that's me.

Suicidals like me who are cutting their price to a humane level, cut their own salary and profit so to speak. I haven't seen much repaishop like mine to charge "by the minute". That's why I say I am no reference.
MuzikElektronix.com
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Sorry, they aren't free

burnt toast

Post by burnt toast » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:01 am

if its a professional place that doesnt sound too bad actually... they will likely charge you by the hour and have a standing fee for servicing also which probably accounts for $50 of it... most of the time if you want to get something done properly you have to shell out for it. one of the places where i send off things to get repaired at work charges £75 an hour for labour..!! why do we use him? he knows his stuff and we trust things to come back fixed.. different field so its not really a direct comparison but you get the idea. i would go with somewhere that seems good over somewhere cheap any day of the week.

and if it doesnt work then you can take it back to them and demand they fix it for free - take no s**t from them. if you pay for a job to be done it had better get done!

that being said i would probably replace the battery myself - it sounds like a fairly simple job which you should be able to do if you are careful :)

Yeti

Post by Yeti » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:19 am

Yeah, I am just wary of opening the sucker up. Easy job, but OTHER stuff could happen. I guess I will just suck it up and let them fix it. They are pretty cool with me thus far in talking about it. They do just about all the repairs for the Guitar Center by me.