Arp Solus ext. audio input and Nord Electro 2 = not friends

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Postblank

Arp Solus ext. audio input and Nord Electro 2 = not friends

Post by Postblank » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:16 am

I just bought an Arp Solus today and have been fiddling with it. I noticed a jack that says "Ext. Audio In." I wondered what my Electro's Wurlitzer patch would sound like all Arp Filtered-out and tried to run it in. The sound doesn't seem to leave the Arp as I'm getting not so much as a hum in my headphones. The manual implies that using this option is as simple as running a line signal in and playing it, but that doesn't appear to be working. I've moved around all the VCF sliders and have heard no results.

Am I missing something really basic here? I'm sort of a dummy about this type of thing.
Keys: Wurlitzer 200A, Nord Electro 2, Arp Omni 2, Yamaha DX-7 II FD, Casio VL-Tone 1, Roland JX-10

hoveringninja

Post by hoveringninja » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:49 am

did you try pressing a key on the arp?
when i run audio through my micro moog i have to
be pressing keys or must have it in bypass mode.
it wont just go straight through.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:33 pm

You must strike a key on the ARP or the envelope doesn't open up, so the signal stops before you can hear it. It is like that on all synths. You can tape down a key or use a sustain pedal or something. Very few synths let you open the VCA envelope without holding a key, even modern synths. There is nothing in the synth itself that detects an incoming signal through the filter only.

On some synths you have an "envelope follower" where the envelope shapes itself after the incoming signal, but that is a discrete circuit I think. The ARP2600 has one. Korg MS-20 also. Not many else I can think of.

Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:15 pm

The PAiA 2720 had an envelope follower, as did the E-mu modulars.
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

atkbg

Post by atkbg » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:28 pm

You can always use the "roll-of-quarters" trick too to hold down a key when you want to.

-A (master of riggin' it)

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:17 pm

Bitexion wrote:You must strike a key on the ARP or the envelope doesn't open up, so the signal stops before you can hear it. It is like that on all synths. You can tape down a key or use a sustain pedal or something. Very few synths let you open the VCA envelope without holding a key, even modern synths. There is nothing in the synth itself that detects an incoming signal through the filter only.

On some synths you have an "envelope follower" where the envelope shapes itself after the incoming signal, but that is a discrete circuit I think. The ARP2600 has one. Korg MS-20 also. Not many else I can think of.
Your very own Yamaha CSs should trigger from an external audio source. The envelopes will be the synth's own, but the trigger level that fires them (equivalent to key on) can be set on the front panel.

I haven't tried this with mine yet, but it's in the manual (CS5).

Postblank

Post by Postblank » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:16 pm

Bitexion wrote:You must strike a key on the ARP or the envelope doesn't open up, so the signal stops before you can hear it. It is like that on all synths. You can tape down a key or use a sustain pedal or something. Very few synths let you open the VCA envelope without holding a key, even modern synths. There is nothing in the synth itself that detects an incoming signal through the filter only.

If the MS-20 does, how about the MS-10? I've balked several times on getting one because, you know, 1 VCO, but if I saw one at the right price I'd probably get it.
Keys: Wurlitzer 200A, Nord Electro 2, Arp Omni 2, Yamaha DX-7 II FD, Casio VL-Tone 1, Roland JX-10

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:31 pm

Nope the MS-10 has no such thing. It can process external audio through the filter, but that's it. It is a separate module on the MS-20 called "E.S.P=External Signal Processor". It can even control oscillator pitch from an incoming signal. That's very uncommon, usually it will only open the envelope and play whatever sound your synth is set to. Not control pitch aswell. The MS-10 isn't a terribly interesting synth, the filter sounds very different (distorts and screams on high resonance) but it's a quite boring synth otherwise. I always wish I had an MS-20 instead when I tweak on it. The patch panel is very limited too, and it bugs me to only have 1 envelope that controls volume and filter at the same time. The LFO is unique though, in that you can steplessly morph between Falling ramp to triangle to Rising ramp. And also Square wave accessible from the patch panel, so you can create great trills with it when you modulate oscillator pitch with it. When you use the Square LFO shape, the shape knob changes pulsewidth.

Yeah I've tried outboard triggering with the CS-15, forgot about that one. I triggered my own voice and LFO and filter modulated it. Kind of like a primitive vocoder. Plus it was funny to trigger the oscillator with my voice. You get no pitch control whatsoever, but still.

Postblank

Post by Postblank » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:48 am

Balls, I was hoping the MS-20 wasn't so above and beyond the MS-10 so I could save the $X00 difference.

I tried taping a key down earlier and it does work. Running the Electro through it is pointless because I can pretty much use the onboard effects to get the same result. But it is nice to have options. What's going to be fun is figuring out how to hook up my Little Brother that I've never used in conjunction with the Solus and my Moogerfooger pedals. That'll be fat city.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:25 am

There is no patch sources and destinations on the MS-10 that aren't avaiable on every modern synth since the 80's. The MS-20 panel is a different world altogether. Also completely confusing.