Roland MC-202 / Alesis Microverb II AC/DC adaptor stuff

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
rex sole

Roland MC-202 / Alesis Microverb II AC/DC adaptor stuff

Post by rex sole » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:16 pm

Hi folks.

I've recently picked up an MC-202 alongside a bunch of other bits and pieces (including a dbx 160 compressor which needs a bit of rewiring but looks very juicy), unfortunately missing a power supply. I've scoured the manual and the internet trying to determine what adaptor I should use to power it, but all I can ascertain is that it runs off a 9v supply and not what mA rating I should be using. I've got it running with a 500 mA adaptor without any hitches at the moment, but I still have the nagging feeling I might be damaging it if it only requires, say, a 200 mA adaptor to run. As it's in impeccable condition I don't want to accidently fry the thing, so hopefully someone here will be able to alleviate my fears!

Additionally I have found an Alesis Microverb without a power adaptor, and was wondering again if anyone knew what AC/DC adaptor I should use with this - I'm not so much concerned about breaking this as the 202, but obviously I'd rather avoid breaking bits of gear if at all possible ;)

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:28 pm

buy a Boss power supply it should run the Roland MC 202 or a radioshack adapt that has several different settings....

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:16 pm

The 202 uses less than a Watt. 800mW according to the manual, which at 9V DC is tiny, about 90mA.

Best to use a regulated supply. This will provide a definite 9v supply no matter how little/much current the unit draws from it. An unregulated supply is cheaper but not a good idea. If you draw only a small current from one, the voltage will rise, maybe harmfully. Spend a couple of extra pounds and get a regulated 9V supply.

rex sole

Post by rex sole » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:22 pm

Ah, thankfully I am using a regulated supply! I'm surprised that the current it draws is so small, although I guess I shouldn't be if the thing can be run using batteries. Thanks for the speedy responses.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:56 pm

I picked up a handful of regulated supplies from a local parts shop for a few pounds each, some 300mA, some 500. Covers a range of bases then. I also have a couple of 1 or 1.5A too. Handy to have, I think.

Regarding the Microverb, I just checked my Microverb 4, and it takes 9V AC, at 780mA. But that's AC, not DC. Not as easy to find, perhaps...