MC-202 Sequencer Questions

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Anaki_Muon

MC-202 Sequencer Questions

Post by Anaki_Muon » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:28 am

First of all, let me just say the Roland MC-202 is a great little synth- and I'm having alot of fun with it!

Second of all, let me just say the manual for it sucks. :(

Okay, so I'm needing some advice on inputting notes- or rather a lack of notes!

I realize that you can turn in to a "free record mode" when you press:
power --> play --> edit --> shift+start+norm
And that's great, but what I can't figure out is how you can input a "pause" or a "rest" between notes when you go through the "sequencer recorder mode" by pressing:
power --> play ---> edit
I just continously get a constant string of notation playing at the exact same intervals no matter what I do!

There's many other things I have yet to get around to teaching myself (though they shouldn't be too difficult to learn), such as adding accents, portamento, or working with multiple patterns (it can do that, right?) so if anyone wants to give any helpful advice on those as well that would be great!

Oh yeah, one more thing... I got it with virtually everything that came with it when it was being sold "new" back in the day (including the original box) plus a gig bag. Among the various items that came with it is a data cassette tape that has some demos you can load on to the MC-202. The contents of the tape are as follows:

1. Invention Vol.1/J.S.Bach
2. Invention Vol.2/J.S.Bach
3. Dream/C.A.Debussy
4. Prelude/J.S.Bach
5. Snow is Dancing/C.A.Debussy

The notes also indicate the tape has information for two voices, and therefore when you play the MC-202 with the data you should use it with a second VC synthesizer hooked up to it.

I bring this up because if there is any interest for it I'll gladly load the contents of the tape on to the internet (or e-mail it).
Korg MS20 & Wavestation A/D, Roland Juno 60 & Juno 106 & MKS50 & D110 & MC202, Ensoniq EPS, Yamaha FB01, SP07b, Casio CZ5000 & SK1, Alesis Micron, Cakewalk Z3ta+, Propellerhead Reason, Garriton Personal Orchestra

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:48 am

God yeah, get that tape out there! I'd love to try those files!

You have to input the timing separately from the pitch value. Enter the pitch as normal foor all your notes, then enter step lengths (which defines the distances between notes). Then you enter gate lengths (which is the note on time for that step).

Rests are entered in Gate mode, IIRC... need to just nip over to my 202 to check...yep, IIRC you just enter 0 gate length.

Slides/Accent are entered by pushing Shift and Port/Acc (bottom right) while in gate mode.

Setting each step moves you on to the next. Confusingly, the step you have just edited will sound only after you move on - so you hear the changes you have made, not the note you are about to work on...

If you can get the hang of it, it's not hard to program. Just takes a bit of working out first.

ill electro

Post by ill electro » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:57 pm

Seq on mc202 is a royal pain.... check this link and read how to make it eaiser.... it works great... it called mc202 midi hack.... enjoy.... http://www.macmusic.org/software/view.p ... n/id/2703/

Anaki_Muon

Post by Anaki_Muon » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:43 pm

nathanscribe, thanks for the information... I figured it had something to do with the "gate" function, though I'm a little confused still by what you've written. Honestly, I'm at work right now so I can't really test it out, but I'm not sure I fully see what you're saying. Any chance I could get you to give me a step-by-step guide? I'll start it off:

Power --> Play --> Edit --> C --> D --> E --> A# ---> G

Now, I'd like a "pause", so to speak, between E and A#. What exactly should I be pressing from this point forward in order to insert that "break", "silence" or whatever you want to call it?

ill electro, I appreciate the link, and even though I use Windows I'm gonna bookmark that. However, at this time I plan on using the MC-202 primarily on the bus between my home and my day job (along with a portable recorder), so I do feel it really is important that I learn the default interface for this thing like the back of my hand.

As far as the tape goes, I'll upload some mp3's of it this weekend. It can be my Christmas gift to you! Anybody have any idea how low I can make the resolution of the file before the data will become corrupted?
Korg MS20 & Wavestation A/D, Roland Juno 60 & Juno 106 & MKS50 & D110 & MC202, Ensoniq EPS, Yamaha FB01, SP07b, Casio CZ5000 & SK1, Alesis Micron, Cakewalk Z3ta+, Propellerhead Reason, Garriton Personal Orchestra

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:50 pm

OK, so my half-arsed attempt to remember exactly how to use the 202 (it's downstairs, I'm up, and I can't be bothered rising from my nehind right now ;))

Pitch data alreday entered. So:

push EDIT. Display tells you you're in...

(comes back after 20 mins of 202 action!)

Step mode. Then enter the length of that STEP - ie., distance from note to next note.

Let's assume you want a 1-bar loop of C,D,E,A sharp, G.

Enter your pitches. Fine.

Press Edit. In Step mode.

Press the crotchet (1/4 note) button. Then press the black button for the type of note you want. A standard note will be half the length of the step. So non-legato would be effectively an 1/8 note gate in a 1/4 note step. A legato would be 3/4 of a 1/4 note, so 3/16. Staccato is 1/16, tie would give the whole 1/4 note.

Follow me? First press the step length, then the on-time of that note, all in STEP mode.

Then press ENTER. You will hear the note you just set up.

The sequence will proceed to the next note.

Continue until done.

If you want to add accent to a note, also press ACCENT at the bottom right of the unit on the appropriate step.

If you want to slide, add PORTAMENTO to the 2nd note of a silde pair (ie, the one you silde TO, not from).

If you look at the mini-keyboard, there's a button marked ACCENT. press Shift and this, and you will change the destination of the accent mod. It can be Filter only, Amp only, or both. This last gives a most convincing 303 emulation.

Once you have completed the full set of steps, don't forget to press ENTER after the last step.

you can then go back to PLAY mode and listen to the sequence. it can be looped by pressing SHIFT and CYCLE (to the right of the display, IIRC).

hope that helps!!!!!

Nath. 8)

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:56 pm

Oh forgot: if you're a real glutton for punishment, you can type in the gate length in GATE mode. Does the same job as pressing the black keys in step mode, but you can enter any value from 00 to 48. There are 48 possible fractions of a beat, that is 48 per 1/4 note. If you have a 1/4 note step and enter 24, you will have an 1/8 note gate.

See? Told you it was easy :lol:

Anaki_Muon

Post by Anaki_Muon » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:54 pm

nathanscribe, thank you very much for the detailed information! I'm at work right now so I can't test it out, but I'm sure that's more than enough detail for me to work it all out. I'll post here again once I've uploaded the audio files of the MC-202 tape I mentioned earlier.

Thanks again!