Problem with jx8P cartridge (m-64)

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
UTEPguy

Problem with jx8P cartridge (m-64)

Post by UTEPguy » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:31 pm

Hi there fellow synth players. I cant save any patches on my jx using the m-64 cartridge. I can only save on internal memory. Unfortunately, these cartridges are kinda expensive and cant test if its just a faulty slot or something. Is there a possibility that I can repair it? Is it just matter of replacing the cartridge's battery? Any help will be appreciated. Thanx
Synth arsenal: Fusion 6HD, JX-8P + pg-800, XP-10, and MS-2000.

CTB

Post by CTB » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:37 pm

UTEPguy,
I purchased an M-64C recently that I had problems with. My problem was that it wouldn't save anything for more than a few seconds. I suspected the battery was dead, so I opened it up. Turns out it was never soldered by Roland and the battery was fine. Here are some pictures for you to view - I can't say what your problem is, but if you are curious about the contents of an M-64, here you go. You can see the lack of solder in the one close-up picture of the yellow battery. I soldered that joint and it has been fine since.

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c97/CTB1/M-64C/
CTB

UTEPguy

Post by UTEPguy » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:43 pm

Woah, thanks man. I'll be checking that right now. But I just looked at the manual and it only mentions m-16c cartridges :shock: Im not an expert on these boards, but the m-64 should work alright huh?

CTB

Post by CTB » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:56 pm

I'm not well-versed, but since my JX10 is basically two JX8P's in a box, I would think the 64 should be ok. I defer to a Roland expert, however. Hopefully one will turn up.
CTB

UTEPguy

Post by UTEPguy » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:47 pm

OK, I just double checked. It is the m-16c. I opened it up and the battery was soldered but just from 1 side. I will solder the other side in the next 15 minutes but before I'll just check it with a voltmeter. Oh, and the display shows "memory protected" whenever I try to save anything.

Oh, Im also sure I turn the "memory protect" switch to off and the cartridge is also set ok.

UTEPguy

Post by UTEPguy » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:50 pm

OK, I just double checked. It is the m-16c. I opened it up and the battery was soldered but just from 1 side. I will solder the other side in the next 15 minutes but before I'll just check it with a voltmeter. Oh, and the display shows "memory protected" whenever I try to save anything.

Oh, Im also sure I turn the "memory protect" switch to off and the cartridge is also set ok.

Last Minute Stuff:

I have checked the battery and it reads 3.22 V. It is soldered. I have checked the switch on the cartridge and it is working. But im still having the same problem.

CTB

Post by CTB » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:20 pm

Hmmm...I had trouble with mine being the wrong kind of data. Since these synths can save sequence data (JX10) or patch data, something has to match properly or it won't save. I forget what I did with mine, but I may have also had that memory protected error. Is there a switch on the JX that you have to chose "INT" or "CART?" You might have the cart mem protect off, but the synth might be trying to write to INT instead of CART. I've made this mistake sometimes when in a rush as well.

Again, I'm winging it here...
CTB