computer problem

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
MrHope
No Longer Registered

Post by MrHope » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:00 am

You have to install the drivers for the soundcard to have sound. If you are lucky, you can download the drivers for the soundcard from the manufacturer's website. If you don't have the installation CD-ROM and you can't download the drivers, then you will have to get a new soundcard.

Similarly, you will have to reinstall the drivers for your modem and internet connection. For every piece of hardware your computer uses, you will need to install drivers unless they are automatically detected and installed by Windows.

You will also have to reinstall all of your programs.

Sorry to give you the bad news, but there's no other way around it.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:04 am

windows and a pc is the main problem

Vxster

Post by Vxster » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:14 am

Was the computer a branded one like HP or Dell or something? If it was, they usually come with their own restore CD which will have all the necessary specific drivers you need with the one install. Otherwise the first thing you need is another computer that is hooked up to the net to get whatever driver you need for your ethernet adaptor. Once you get that and stick it on a CD or other media, you can install that on your own machine and then start downloading the other drivers you need for your other stuff.

As for this:
f**k wrote:windows and a pc is the main problem
Very helpful, troll. You have been here for 6 days, with 116 posts. That's about 20 posts a day. And you feel the need to make a post like this to up your count?

burnt toast

Post by burnt toast » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:04 pm

you may have to open her up and make a note of the make/model numbers of the sound and network/modem and then download some drivers and stick em on a USB stick or burn them onto a CD. trawling for drivers isnt much fun - but it should be do-able if its a modern ish one.

and thanks a lot for the "help" wiss. :?

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by wiss » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:13 pm

maybe I should explain my stance a little bit more...move to a mac and save the headaches of pc problems

Vxster

Post by Vxster » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:06 pm

wiss wrote:maybe I should explain my stance a little bit more...move to a mac and save the headaches of pc problems
I don't know how long you have lurked here before you joined but we have done Mac versus PC to death. We have happy owners in both camps. I am a Mac-boi myself but we have plenty of PC chaps happy with their lot. He already has a PC and wants it to work. He didn't say "Hey, let me spend however many hundred dollars replacing it with a machine I may or may not have any experience with at all". We are trying to help, you are not. I would respectfully suggest you do not participate in this thread if your only piece of advice is to buy another computer. We will try and help him get his existing setup working.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by wiss » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Vxster wrote:
wiss wrote:maybe I should explain my stance a little bit more...move to a mac and save the headaches of pc problems
I don't know how long you have lurked here before you joined but we have done Mac versus PC to death. We have happy owners in both camps. I am a Mac-boi myself but we have plenty of PC chaps happy with their lot. He already has a PC and wants it to work. He didn't say "Hey, let me spend however many hundred dollars replacing it with a machine I may or may not have any experience with at all". We are trying to help, you are not. I would respectfully suggest you do not participate in this thread if your only piece of advice is to buy another computer. We will try and help him get his existing setup working.
your right I should had said nothing...my bad

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:14 am

Glad you got it going. But yeah, $60 to install some drivers does suck! Next time you should get online with another machine, at a friends house or something, and put the drivers on a cd and go from there. Unless the cd player has something really funky going on it should work out of the box. If you just download the one for your network card, then at least you can get the rest yourself (ie the video card, sound card drivers, etc). It's really an easy process and you can save yourself some cash next time.

Motavis

I C U C WII ALL C

Post by Motavis » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:43 am

If you ever need to download this..

http://www.gotbutter.org/UnknownDevices.zip

It helps you know what your devices are then..

Driverguide.com (get a hotmail for spam then sign up)

This is if it ever happens again :c)

*** SAVE it to a CDr for later use incase you have a problem*******
ImageImage

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:01 am

wiss wrote:windows and a pc is the main problem
Yes. A PC is usually the main problem. I think a trip to the apple store should do the trick. :wink:
soundcloud.com/vectron

Motavis

I C U C WII ALL C

Post by Motavis » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:27 am

Alex E wrote:
Yes. A PC is usually the main problem. I think a trip to the apple store should do the trick. :wink:
I think that an Apple would be more then $60 he paid for a fix.
ImageImage

Vxster

Post by Vxster » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:52 pm

Alex E wrote:
Next time, try reading the rest of the thread.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: I C U C WII ALL C

Post by Alex E » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:05 pm

Motavis wrote:
Alex E wrote:
I think that an Apple would be more then $60 he paid for a fix.
yeah.. i know... :roll:
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Alex E » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:05 pm

Vxster wrote:
Alex E wrote:
Next time, try reading the rest of the thread.[/quot]

Okay. It is for help, after all.
soundcloud.com/vectron