Free software synth with easy MIDI interface?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Yeti

Free software synth with easy MIDI interface?

Post by Yeti » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:24 am

I have a stupid question to ask regarding my Midisport interface. I got it all installed on my computer but I have not been able to use my Microkorg to control anything on my computer. Could anyone recommend a good free software synth that I could download and use my Microkorg or other keyboard to control it so I know that the MIdisport is actually working? This is the first time ive been able to connect anything via MIDI to my computer so this is a brave new world. It seems like i've got all the connections going, but I need some program to run so I can see it actually work.
We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams....

Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno-1, Microkorg, Boss DR-110, Yamaha RX5, Korg ER1, Casio MT70, MT68, EP30,SK1, Alesis HR16, Akai S1000, Reason, Guitars, Basses, Mandolin

Yeti

Post by Yeti » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:16 am

or maybe there is some free stuff on Windows Xp that I could test my midi controller out with.

Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno-1, Microkorg, Boss DR-110, Yamaha RX5, Korg ER1, Casio MT70, MT68, EP30,SK1, Alesis HR16, Akai S1000, Reason, Guitars, Basses, Mandolin

JugJug

Post by JugJug » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:35 pm

An invaluable tool for Midi monitoring and lot of other functions is MIDI-OX. It's free for non-commercial use.
http://www.midiox.com/

Here you can find a decent basic host (donationware) to test VST plugins: http://www.tobybear.de/p_minihost.html

Yeti

Post by Yeti » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:17 pm

perfect. I had forgotten about Midi-ox. I knew there was something like what I was looking for. Thanks a ton.