What's so special about the Moog filter?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

What's so special about the Moog filter?

Post by Alex E » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:33 pm

I know that the Moog filter is very popular, but I don't see (or hear) why. It sounds like any other filter I have heard. Is there a site where I can hear side-by-side comparisons or a moog filter and another one? Is it something I need to experience firsthand in order to understand?
soundcloud.com/vectron

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:27 pm

It colours the sound to make it seem warmer, but really it's just the Moog Hype. It makes you sort of able to mimic a minimoog (even though the oscillators are not moogs), but most likely it's the same reason anything with a Moog label on goes for thousands of dollars on secondhand markets. It was The First Ever. So, people wanna collect it, like some people want to collect T-Fords.

People want it because it says MOOG. Maybe like cars in a way. Some are content with something that takes you from A to B, others need a Ferrari to go to the mall.

95% who listens to the music doesn't give a rat's a*s what synth or filter is used on a bass sound that is meshed into the latest Madonna hit track. It's just for connoiseurs to brag to eachother that a MegaMoog or Prophet was used. Nobody REALLY cares.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:14 pm

Bitexion wrote:95% who listens to the music doesn't give a rat's a*s what synth or filter is used on a bass sound that is meshed into the latest Madonna hit track. It's just for connoiseurs to brag to eachother that a MegaMoog or Prophet was used. Nobody REALLY cares.
I agree with the 1st part - most people don't give the probverbial rodent rectal port what's used on a track.

But I don't agree with the rest... I was listening to Human League's Travelogue yesterday and thought how good some of the sounds were... and stuff like Numan or YMO, I mean you can hear the gear on there... but you're right in that most people woulnd't be interested. I don't brag about synths being used, I just appreciate the gorgeousness of recordings made with really nice kit.. so I care!! And I'm not quite nobody, though I do come close... :lol:

clueless

Post by clueless » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:48 pm

I agree about Travelogue Nathan. Wonderfull sounds and not a Moog in sight. :wink:

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:11 pm

clueless wrote:I agree about Travelogue Nathan. Wonderfull sounds and not a Moog in sight. :wink:
Ah, the irony!

I know the league used a lot of Korg and Roland stuff back then.. I wasn't pretending I could recognise a moog blind at a distance of 25 years and ten feet, but just saying that a certain kind of kit makes a difference... and there i went and sounded foolish. Nothing changes! :lol:

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:39 am

I used to have a moog opus 3 and I thought the filter was special enough that I just had to buy the moogerfooger version after I sold it. I just couldn't go on without having access to that beefy sound and those killer sweeps. I love the filters in my CS15 and MS-20 as well but the 3 sound nothing like each other to my ears.

monk_volcano

Post by monk_volcano » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:51 am

yea.. there's a lot of hype.. each of the major synth manufacturors of old, have filters that sound unique.. different people like different ones. there's a lot of hype about which is the fattest.. but who cares..

moog filters sound great of course, but so do Roland, Yamaha, Orberheim, Korg, etc. I love the filter on my recently aquired SH-09.. very differnt than a moog, but it sounds more slick and cool to me. different strokes for different folks.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:57 am

It seemed to me that Moog always designed things in accordance with being pleasing to the ear, not necessarily what was the easiest or most cost-effective thing to do. The ladder filter is an excellent example of this since it is actually what would be considered a flawed design that introduces some distortion to the output signal....but goddamn it sounded good. One of the most interesting things I have learned about Moog is that he claimed in his documentary to have a feeling, a sensory understanding, an intuition...of what was going on inside the analog circuits. Yeah, sure the trickiest thing about music and synthesizers is learning to hear the subtleties between different instruments and what gives them a unique sound. Most synths I can get them to sound Moog-ish but nothing seems to sound as fat and round. Its something that you really understand when you drop those sounds into your track and hear them played back for the first time. Its exactly like the design of the Harley Davidson two stroke engine - both pistons firing at the same time....damned inefficient fuel consumption for a motorcycle but who cares???....they sound kick a*s.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:20 pm

:twisted: my Sherman eats Moogerfoogers for an appetizer :twisted:

Yeah, Moogs are nice...discreet circuits and the lovely styling...but it's the aura they have that gets everybody. I think a lot of people that don't bother to explore or compare will just settle on a concensus of whatever is vaguely "the BEST" and go with that. Add a healthy dose of VA backlash plus Bob dyin'(RIP) and you get 1000s of people asking for Moogs when they don't even really know why.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Post by smallsynth » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:41 pm

i agree that the average listener doesn't care what synth was used -- they only care about the end sound (though they might not realize what they like is a certain synth). also, i agree that many people buy moog's for the name.

that said, i for years, i refused to get a moog because of this hype. then, i got a great deal on an old moog, and it blew me away. enough said -- it's not the sound for everyone, but it was a sound for me.

-geoffrey smallsynth

jonkull
Gear: Andromeda • Serge • Buchla

Post by jonkull » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:04 pm

smallsynth wrote:that said, i for years, i refused to get a moog because of this hype. then, i got a great deal on an old moog, and it blew me away. enough said -- it's not the sound for everyone, but it was a sound for me.

-geoffrey smallsynth
I was the same way. Thought it was a bunch of label whoring and hype until I played one. Though they were VERY expensive for simple no-frills monosynths I really enjoy the sound of my Moogs and I'm happy with the purchases. That said in my opinion a filter is a filter and the Moog filter isn't any more 'magical' than any other. It all comes down to what sounds good to your ear and your own personal preference.

groovemacher

Post by groovemacher » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:12 pm

most moog bass sounds kinda muddy and dulled to my ear.

everyone talks about the difference between moogs filter and others but I'll take others any day.
I personally prefer a 12db filter although I've owned a moog opus 3, micromoog and a minimoog but I sold them all off out of dislike.

I think its about personal preference more than anything.

Ned23

Re: What's so special about the Moog filter?

Post by Ned23 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:11 pm

I think rather than discuss what's "Better" it's sufficient to say that the Moog sound is unique. Not everyone can tell a Korg from a Roland but when you hear a Moog, you know it's a Moog.

sandwich

Re: What's so special about the Moog filter?

Post by sandwich » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:37 am

probverbial rodent rectal port
:lol: :lol: :lol: