Question about Roland D-10

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
lochen

Question about Roland D-10

Post by lochen » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:47 pm

I have the opportunity to purchase a Roland D-10 synthesizer with a case for $150. I'm still not sure about how great it is in terms of functionality and sound. From what I've been reading it doesn't seem to get much credit. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

meeks

Re: Question about Roland D-10

Post by meeks » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:42 am

lochen wrote:I have the opportunity to purchase a Roland D-10 synthesizer with a case for $150. I'm still not sure about how great it is in terms of functionality and sound. From what I've been reading it doesn't seem to get much credit. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.
I got mine for $37 bucks...if the case is worth that to you and its in good shape, it's not a terrible synth. I like it...though it is pretty beat up.

However (post hi-jack)....since I've replaced the battery and reloaded everything...the drum volume is very, very low (but not in the demo tracks) anyone know whats up with that???

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:07 am

D-10 is a good source for some interesting sounds.
Take attention at Warm Pad Fade and other warm sounds. Also some interesting digital sounds can be done.
37 bucks? wasn't it stolen? :D I think it is a very low price. Just only selling keys in ebay, you could get more of that amount! I got mine by 140 two years ago and happy to purchase it. The only con is the plastic (veeery plastic) keyboard.

Regarding the low sound on drums, did you try to set the rythm volume (I can remember it is in tune/function menu)? maybe some of the volume adjust is out of range and you need to tweak that parameter all along his values range (that is what happened in DX7 when replacing battery).

Keep us updated.
Roland Promars, E-mu EMAX and some other machines...

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:44 am

I always love the D series, but I get the D-110 to add another love for my D-50. Use it for some simpler LA sounds along with the big D. But my friend love the touch of the D-20 keys, not sure if it's the same with the D-10..also I don't really notice about how nice the keys are, but my friend use it as his master controller up to now, don't think it's going to be that nice, specially since I'm never a fan of Roland's early rompler keys..I would say that this synth have good potential for some nice 80's sounds, even some suprisingly modern sounds if properly edited. Don't rely with the presets. Make your own or at least these Patchman banks will provide some of the best D-110 sounds around, if your own edit is not working, just get these banks..Here listen for yourself:
http://www.patchmanmusic.com/rolandd5d10d20.html
Another Demos:
http://www.synthmania.com/d-110.htm
http://boduns.starlink.ru/MUSIC/DEMO%20 ... d%20d-110/
It's a very underrated synth with nice hybrid engine of early VA + Roland's early rompler than can easily do some low bit punch. I suggest to check for the D-110, you can even get it for much cheaper.Get it only if you really know what you want (love the keys, sounds, looks, etc..) and the condition is mint. The D series are noisy synths, make sure that you can deal with that. But an effective way to nail that nice LA tone which is very alive and playable to me. If you like the thing and it's in a good condition with case then imho, it's a reasonable deal. Just look around, coz sometime people sell their D-50/550 or JD-990 for around $300-400 or even a D-110 for under $90!
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums